Beware Perth hosts of guest JJ

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by moridog, 25th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

Thanks for your concern, I really appreciate it. My comowner took photos to the local Police and emphasised the storeroom with a normal locked lock door? Not a deadlock or bolt, but a normal door lock was broken into. You can clearly see where they tried the window first before breaking in via the door. Local Police ( Hillary’s) told co owner we were “lucky” despite us stressing this a burglary, theft, and criminal damage, not simply a damage, they would not budge and refused to attend. An IR has been done but no attendance.
    When the co owner attended Friday he got the regos of both cars there so we also gave them to the Police, as well as her phone number, name.
    The “guest” has a Facebook page which I had already looked at, nothing there to suggest any issues, it is in her name, the photo on the page I found is the same photo provided to Airbnb so I knew it was the same person.
    I called Airbnb back and asked why no one had yet been in touch as I am 99% certain she went to another Airbnb, they told me it had been escalated and marked as urgent, lol. I did point out once we had a guest of a particular type who felt the accommodation for him, wife, four kids and two dogs was not flash enough and called them to complain and they were on the phone to me in two minutes but not in the reverse.

datto and Perthguy like this.
  2. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Far out. Is there a police complaints/ombudsman you can go to? That's poor form.

Perthguy likes this.
  3. moridog

Thought I would provide an update! Lodged my formal complaint with Airbnb who responded today asking for invoices etc. spent all of yesterday there and got all the electrical work done, they also gouged out a couple of power points, and found a fantastic ceiling fixer who also plastered, two of the three built in robes had holes smashed into the false ceilings of them plus lots of plaster gouged out of walls, he fixed all that, they had also removed all bar three tiles in a whole wall of mirrored tiles, he skimmed that too. Master being painted tomorrow and whole house full of carpet being laid Monday. Co owner there now trying to fix base of built ins where they damaged them getting carpet up, and Police turned up and took some photos!! And asked the points of identity she provided, so I’ve emailed Airbnb asking for that and telling them I will give the police the person I’m dealing with details so Airbnb can tell them where she is now. Bet that goes down like a lead balloon.

Propagate, Perthguy and KateSydney like this.
  4. qak

qak Well-Known Member

What they did is awful - just so deliberately destructive :(:confused:

5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Should be jailed for 6 months and pay back all expenses plus pain and suffering.

TMNT, Glorion and KateSydney like this.
  6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

What sort of brain injury do you need to pay to use someones nice place and then deliberately wreck it. ?

They just use a different email address, or friend or partner and payment basis. And do it again. Wonder if the card payment is going to get a reversal ? Its probably stolen and only reasons cops are now involved. But privacy laws wont let them say.

ellejay, TMNT, JacM and 1 other person like this.
  7. moridog

I have no doubt her identity is correct, I’ve trawled Facebook and her family, Mum and friends are there. It has taken a lot of self control not to say to her Mum, PLEASE, take these kids away!!!!!! I called Child Protection, they weren’t interested. What a train wreck. We are up to 8 k so far and we are really careful! The thought that the children of this woman, and her partner, witnessed this type of lunacy, is dreadful.

8. moridog

Update. Through sheer bloody annoyance I tracked down where they went, as I suspected, they went to another Airbnb, and although they have not caused the type of damage they did to ours it is filthy and covered with cat soiling, stinks of smoke etc. they reported to Police and called Police back with rego numbers I gave them. They sent me a message last night saying Police had called them and one of these people has been arrested, I do not know for what offence but the Police did lamely say to us, oh, when we find them, to which we responded do you think people who do damage like this could not come under notice?
    Airbnb have been recalcitrant, to say the least, and have allowed this person to move to another property despite me calling them prior to the next check in.

ellejay, JacM, Ted Varrick and 3 others like this.
  9. moridog

Another update!!!!!!
    I would rather rip my hair out strand by strand than deal with Airbnb, finally have email verification they have received everything so far, then the next day they will claim not to.
    Great news is that the RAC have had a change of heart and agreed to accept the claim for malicious damage, the maximum figure is 10 K and the replacement/damage costs will come very close to this, could have been much worse.
    JJ is still out there and active, even changed her profile picture, obviously with the blessing of Airbnb.
    We’ve turned off instant book and applied a security deposit which may only serve to prevent some penniless guests as the other host is still fighting them to get the security deposit of JJ back as partial recompense for the damage.

ellejay, JacM, Beano and 3 others like this.
  10. moridog

This lunatic is still out there and moving through Airbnb properties with their blessing, please be mindful Perth northern suburbs hosts!!!!!!!

Perthguy likes this.
  11. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

absolutely terrible,
    I do not know what sort of imbecile actually enjoys going to other peoples property and doing that much damage, obviously another level above young boys having a party and making a mess

but then I think back to some of the tenants I have had.......

I am still surprised that insurnace companies cover air bnb,

would the market simply stop if every insurance company decided to exclude?

12. moridog

We had one “guest” who upon arrival demanded I come out to see him and felt the premises were not sufficiently luxurious for his family of six and their two dogs, Airbnb with our blessing, offered a full refund minus a night, he must have annoyed them so much they blocked him from making another booking on their platform, however, JJ is up to her third booking post our house so I have no idea why they allow her to keep booking. I know they paid the host after us to shut them up but why keep allowing her to book?
    The Police have done absolutely nothing either, the “statement” was a joke and we completely re wrote it, local Police said in an email after reviewing the photos looks like the house has “maintenance issues” rather then being damaged maliciously and how could we prove she and her party did it? However, they neglected to mention in the statement that co host went to the house, met the creature got her and the partners rego numbers, entered the house, no damage there at that time.
    JJ’s partner arrested trying to sell a stolen puppy, been charged with significant other offences, pretty funny that no one reports witnessing damage to a house (if they saw or heard it) but spot a shifty .... trying to sell a puppy and the phones run hot! Lol.

Perthguy likes this.
  13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I don't understand why AirBNB is not blocking this person?

14. is_don_is_good

is_don_is_good Well-Known Member

Need to document and report everything as soon as possible, send them every piece of information as soon as possible, cause a big fuss and tag them on social media.

I started airbnb'ing when it was fairly new and when I had issues or damage the airbnb hotline was always helpful.

Over time they've changed their tactic and they look after customers more.

After a while we didn't even bother claiming minor damage or repairs because the guest would be notified, could argue and could still give you a bad review if they were upset about having to repay you for damage they caused.

Meanwhile, my friend sat on a dodgy chair at a beach house off booking.com, the chair broke and we had to reimburse the owner hundreds of dollars because apparently there was nothing wrong with it.

15. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

I have a good mate running airbnb in Perth and yesterday have someone named JJ wanted to book his place. He answered YES and we just happened to have a chat and I told him about this thread of discussion. He went pale immediately and cancelled the booking. He thanked me for alerting him of this. But then this is September 2019 and I would have thought the same JJ would be wise enough to change his/her name. Maybe it is another JJ?

Sackie likes this.
  16. moridog

Airbnb were so negligent it wouldn’t surprise me if she is still about. Oddly enough we had a suss sounding request the other day, tried to book after midnight for a 5 pm check in. Claimed he was booking fir a dance performers coming from interstate and asked me”what’s the problem?” After a bit of argy bargy I invited him to pop by and show me his id. Oddly enough he didn’t proceed. We’ve been so damaged by this experience we’ve tightened up settings to such an extent our bookings have dropped by about 80%.

17. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Maybe you could re list the place with the photo's of damage on AIr b&b super cheap per night due to damage caused by most recent visitor "JJ" !

Bet you get some action out of them then (even if only they pull tbe listing !)

Pumpkin likes this.
  18. moridog

Sounds like the Police who, upon viewing the photos said, maybe we had housekeeping issues and how could we prove this was malicious? I said oh yes, silly us! We have it on Airbnb with the gorgeous open air minus ceiling look with carpet ripped up, underlay piled in the en suite and carpet re laid, we hoped no one would notice!