Beware of Nasty Easements that Bite

Discussion in 'Development' started by MTR, 15th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Ah the easement that isn't an easement. I love these.

What @Big Daddy has shown is a good way to explain it. Thanks for that!

Every month for the past year I reckon I've learnt about things which don't show up on the Certificate of Title that restrict what you can do
    - the power line stuff is more like a Western Power 'setback' not an easement as such.
    - power poles, power domes, various other Western Power infrastructure things which impact how close you can build to and where you can put cross overs.
    - other infrastructure like gas, telstra impacting where you can put things and how close you can build to
    - transperth infrastructure like bus stops impact where you can put crossovers
    - sewer line easements
    - Metropolitan Regional Scheme road widening reservations - parts of your land which you cannot build on and set aside for future road widening which may or may not happen.

Generally most if not all these should be disclosed by seller as they materially affect the use of the land. With the MRA Road Widening I had one seller disclose and another seller didn't and I was taken by surprise on the second one as I didn't consider the road to be a major road - however back in the 1950s when they put the reservation over the land they must have. I lost 120sqm (3m wide x 40 frontage) on that one but negotiated a discount.

Many of them can be found via Dial Before You Dig except the MRS where you contact the WA Planning Department and they can tell you over the phone if it's affected then you order a schematic diagram from them to show you the impact. Transperth ones are available from Transperth but you can generally see a bus stop :)

Elives, Archaon, llamacat and 2 others like this.
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Hi WM
    I actually have a 10 page doc from Western Power, and it's definately defined as an easement, regardless it's a negative. It certainly changes the way I research development sites moving forward.
    Thanks for the info above

MTR:)

3. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

@OSAN Properties You need to register (free) then enter a start date, end date etc etc and an address. Then highlight ( draw) on map the affected area and then click submit. Then check your email

Arnel and MTR like this.
  4. Westminster

For the pull downs I say I'm a private contractor and the submission is for Design purposes for Development Approval.

5. Westminster

Cos I own so many of them :)

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Ok, how do you stop your addiction to easements:confused:

7. 380

380 Well-Known Member

Properties near airports can have airport control restrictions too.

If any one buying near prposed airport should be careful of runway location etc.

8. Westminster

Stop buying? lol
    Just recognise which ones are workable, which ones aren't :) And then the ultimate easement - easement of benefit like a ROW/Laneway.
    Probably around 75% plus of everything in an infill area has some sort of easement.
    Even a property with no easement can be affected by one. For example my Westminster triplex has no easement as the sewer line was on the neighbours property but to build to zero lot on that side I would still need piling as it was within 1500mm of the sewer line.

9. Westminster

Very true. We are restricted by the ANEF contours which restrict what you can do in that area.

10. 380

380 Well-Known Member

Lot of newbie developers get trapped in to such situation and suffer significant loss at time of subdivision.

At the time of buying property, most likely there is no registered easement. But surveyor will pick it up at time of subdivision and it will cost you downwardly sell price.

Last edited: 15th Jul, 2015
    RetireRich101 likes this.
  11. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

Would be nice for one of you guys here start a post.. "Top xx Easement to avoid for a development site".. A general guideline for all newbie_to_be_developer.

12. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good idea. Some good info here.
    Do you contact the council in the 1st instance or is there another way to find easement info easily?

13. 380

380 Well-Known Member

Title search will show you most registered easement.

Other than that, Visual observation will give you some idea.

14. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Via the conveyancer or yourself?
    Do you need to contact the particular councils for setbacks etc...?

15. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

www.1100.com.au gives location of the sewerage. Building a granny flat at the back yard, is a must know where the sewerage line. the 330kv tx line would show as thin wire/line to back of property which lead you to call authority for further details...

In Brisbane, such as BCC and LCC, their pdonline is very useful to identify overlay such as flood, bushfire, acidic soil, aircraft etc.. very useful compared to Sydney councils...

Azazel likes this.
  16. 380

380 Well-Known Member

@Azazel

Convyncer can advise you of title search, easement and covenants..

Re:set back

Best to check with architect/townplanner/council

Totally different topic from easement!

17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yeah, I found a lot of useful info in QLD for flood/erosion overlays etc...

18. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

upload_2015-8-9_13-54-36.png View attachment 1198
    upload_2015-8-9_13-54-36.png upload_2015-8-9_14-1-17.png

Would these be transmission &/or high voltage lines? Just trying to get a clear idea of what I'm looking for.

19. hematite

hematite Well-Known Member

MTR, sorry for the digression, however wouldn't this be subject to income tax rather than CGT? Unless you held the house for a while... Im trying to get my head around this with my accountant as guidance.

We've had an easement in a previous property and it killed a lot of interest from families who wanted to build an in-ground pool.

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Have not paid anything yet as it falls in this financial year and have yet to meet with accountant. I get confused as well, either way we buy in Trust never pay more than 30% tax.

What type of easement?