Beware: income/health insurance claims refused - bizarre excuses

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Joynz, 27th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Heard a shocking program on ABC radio this morning investigating major insurance companies who are refusing health and income protection claims for completely spurious reasons.

For example, a guy who sustained a serious knee injury was refused an income protection payout because he had sleep apnea ten years before and had received counseling for another matter. Completely unrelated matters to his knee injury.

Another guy saw a psychologist at school for careers counseling when he was a student. He was refused a payout much later merely because of that visit. In other words, because had seen a psychologist sometime in his lifetime.

Takeout message from the program I s that you must be very careful how a doctor (even a GP) records your visit. Any mention of stress etc could be used decades later to refuse a claim about something completely unrelated like a knee injury.

I'm not talking about people doing a dodgy. In the cases mentioned , valid claims are being refused.

Important to take into account as many of us will have income protection, health or travel insurance.

Strongly suggest all PCers listen to the program.

Insurance industry stuck in 'dark ages', say mental health advocates

Last edited: 27th Nov, 2016
  2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Pre existijng conditions can be used against you. Can also be used by you.

When I needed travel cover for USA I saw my Doc and asked him to answer the questions. He gave me a clean slate and the insurer cleared my known issues with extra premium. I had to visit a Doc in USA and it cost me $4900 for a 2.5hr visit that would be bulk billed here. They paid. No issue.

A friend claimed for DVT and now cant get travel insurance at all.

Many insurers have a blanket automatic decline policy for claims too. One of them copped some media that is still under govt review : Money For Nothing - Four Corners

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

This is why you have to be careful when going to a doctor - best to go overseas for certain medical treatment, just so that the records are not available here.

Sannie likes this.
  4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Wrong thread - meant to post in the travel insurance thread.

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Is that why there arent any Filipino faith healers here ?