Betel Nut business. Asia.

Discussion in 'Commercial Property' started by Sackie, 11th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Why: Cash flow play
    Where: Taiwan, Asia.
    What: Betel Nut stand. But also selling fruit and cold drinks. Betel nut is a stimulant that is popular throughout tropical Asia. Taiwan's "betel quid" consists of a drupe from the areca palm (Areca catechu) wrapped with slaked lime (calcium hydroxide) in a betel vine leaf (Piper betle). In other parts of Asia, flavourings, spices, and even tobacco may be added. Men particularly like to come to these stands to buy the Betel nuts from the sellers. (would like to add absolutely no sexual services at all will be offered or ever tolerated). Purely selling the betel nut and fruits.
    How much: approx. 40k AUD bought the place outright.
    Returns: Based on the area we managed to get into (very lucky and difficult in our case), we expect to recoup our entire 40k over 18 -24 months max, after all expenses. We have accepted that this is a strong medium risk venture and its not impossible to lose the entire 40k which we are OK with. We have other commercial 'shops', more like well constructed 'stands' there, so we are familiar with business in Taiwan have quite a few contacts who regularly help us.

I'll update this thread in 6 moths and then 12 months to let you know if things went pear shaped or we're still alive and kicking.

bn.jpg

Last edited: 11th Jan, 2018
    Blueskies, willy1111, EN710 and 2 others like this.
  2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I guess you would have already looked into this from the legal side..

But what happens if someone lost control of the vehicle and slammed into another car,or someone walking down the street seriously injuring the person or persons and they end up in a coma and remains physically and mentally incapacitated due to the driver's fault after taking Betel nut from your outlet?..

Sorry Leo,but i always look at the downside first then work up from there..good luck..

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

What did you actually buy for your $40k?
    the good will and the land?

Ouchmyknees likes this.
  4. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Consumption has many harmful effects on health and is carcinogenic to humans. Various compounds present in the nut, most importantly arecoline (the primary psychoactive ingredient which is similar to nicotine), contribute to histologic changes in the oral mucosa.

Guess all money is the same.

5. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

Lol, the men go to the stall because the shopkeepers all dressed in bikinis! There is a special term called "槟榔西施betel beauty" (just google the Chinese term and you can find photos) to refer to them. If you don't have you staff dressed in very skanky clothes you will not have business.

6. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Not sure my ethics would allow me to sell addictive drugs but good luck with it.

7. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

I don't understand that market but good luck with it. I have no ethical issue, I would like a distillery.

8. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Woah.. that is some scenario...I guess its possible but then I don't think its likely really.

10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

The land and 'shop', some supplies, 5 years worth of 'permits' and some 'good will' though I don't think that really counts for much in this situation.

Last edited: 12th Jan, 2018
    Terry_w likes this.
  11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

When I used to live there I would drive by and try the betel nuts. I never liked it myself..always found it to be pretty bitter but the ladies were friendly enough. Yes I am familiar with 槟榔西施 :)

Its not only betel nuts that are sold, also some other food stuff which is getting more and more popular. I would like to phase out the betel nuts if possible.

Ouchmyknees likes this.
  12. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 5.10.25 pm.png

13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

14. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Somehow it seems different - this seems more like drug sales with skimpies. I'd have a moral issue with this, but not a distillery. (And yes I know whisky can be addictive - I never said I was consistent in my moral issues. ;))

Journeyman, Sackie and Joynz like this.
  15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

No ones perfect :p

16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

We actually have plans to perhaps turn it into a traditional tea shop like some of our others. The location is fantastic so we'll see. Still deciding at this point.

17. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Nice one, <2 years payback can't go wrong (unless things go wrong if course!) sounds like you've assessed the risk as manageable enough to proceed at that price so good luck with it!

Never heard of a betel nut girl before, lots of eye-opening things that come out of Asia!

Sackie likes this.
  18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Thanks mate. The main selling point for us was the price we were able to get it at for the location. We have multiple options for what we can do with the space. Also its in a district where the police are...shall we say... more 'reasonable'. But that's another story :)
    haha yes I tell people Asia is not just another continent but for the most part its truly another world. I'm very lucky to have grown up in Asia for quite a few years and speak fluent Mandarin. It has opened so many doors of opportunity I have lost count. And it got me my wife. And no, she's not mail order :D:p

Ouchmyknees and Blueskies like this.
  19. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

I have a thing for whisky.... But then I am a vego Cattle farmer..... Also inconsistent.

Jess Peletier likes this.
  20. MyDarlinghurst

MyDarlinghurst Well-Known Member

interesting thread, how many times a year must you fly over to Taiwan to oversee operations?