Best ways to increase price

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by tigerpaws, 20th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. tigerpaws

tigerpaws Active Member

I am about to sell my unit and have a pretty good understanding of the values of other units in my building.

The property is situated 1 street over from a very desirable suburb. Which is one of the reasons I brought the property in the first place.

My broker has advised that the banks desktop valuation of the unit that sold 2 months ago is 70k above the REA valuation and current sales price.

I was wondering if anyone has any idea on how to best increase the price. I have done basic stuff and will stage the property. I am not prepared to do the kitchen and bathroom because I have decided to use the money to upgrade instead of renovating.

What else can I do to push up the price?

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd ensure it is freshly painted. Paint is one of the cheapest ways to make things look fresh. I'd put in nice blinds or curtains... another cheap way to go. Ikea do great semi-transparent curtains that look more expensive than they are. We put them into a house for sale and they looked great. We also have the same ones in our rentals.

Do you have carpet or hard flooring? Carpets should be cleaned and fresh.

If kitchen or bathroom are tired, use paint to freshen up, fresh grout, clean, clean, clean... and do whatever you can to draw the eye to something eye-catching. Fancy coloured toaster and kettle, artwork.

Ensure the common areas leading to your unit door are clean, even if that means you sweep before each open house. Details are important. Door jambs need to be chip-free so your eye is not drawn to the chips. Same with plaster corners, skirting boards etc.

craigc, Observer, keenas and 6 others like this.
  3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Buy some of those slow release oil/perfume air freshener bottles and stick one in the back of each wardrobe/linen closet/laundry shelf.

Everytime someone opens up for a peek they get a waft of a nice light smell (not unlike having the oven on keep warm with almost baked cookies so the place smells "so good" ) :cool:

Dan Wood likes this.
  4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

BUYERS increase the price of a property when they perceive enhanced value v other property. Many things will enhance appeal which entices encouraged offers but token gestures wont enhance the value. Just the buyer appeal. Some buyers will also target poor condition to bid down a value hoping to snag a bargain. eg you cant fix a bad layout or design or a bad street. You cant polish a turd. But if you eliminate buyer objection you will assist offers. But you cant always appeal to all buyers. eg does a pool add value ? Some buyers yes. For other buyers its a absolute "No".

Listen to the agent. They can advise on whether a kitchen / bathroom renovation will add more than its cost. It often can. Not always however. We just spent $30K+ on landscape and other issues and the agent who saw it prior suggested its probably added $100K+ in appeal as how it looked before wasnt what local buyers seek. He thinks before a few bids would have come but now many would love it.

Some properies are worth maintenance speninding and for some buyers they may really just be chasing a demo or a expected renovation and what you do is wasted.

5. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

Exactly right. It depends on your target audience. If your targeting a FHB then yeah most want a straight move in ready with everything looking spick and sparkling.

If was looking at your place and you chucked $3k worth of paint, did some nice cleaning to the grout and showers or done little things like putting in nice smells - to be honest I wouldn't pay you a single cent extra. I would be buying to value add myself with zero emotional attachment to any property I buy. Its all a numbers game to me. So in this instance you'd be chucking out $10K out the window.

Something to think about.

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

As a vendor, I just don't know who is going to buy my house.

So I would do the deep cleaning, fixing or repainting obvious things that catch my eye. Make things as easy as I could to appeal to the widest range of potential buyers.

Your comment @thunderstrike888 is a fair call, and for you these might not part you with one more cent, but for sure if these things were not done, you might say to the agent "needs painting, needs cleaning, chipped skirting boards, I'll offer $10k off the asking".

7. tigerpaws

tigerpaws Active Member

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

The unit will be super clean and I have fixed stand out issues

My big problem will be the carpets. They need replacing. When I spoke to the flooring sales guy he said let the new owner pick the flooring As body corp will approve a new floor in 2-3 days and are very pro renovation.

The target market is either investors or my inner-city social pad and it may be FHB . The view is pretty amazing and makes the unit feel bigger. eg the I think someone with more money than me could add an amazing breakfast bar that friends could sit at while watching the sunset. An investor could update a whole collection of stuff and then claim the tax deductions as the units are often positively geared.

The onsite manager sells most of the units and I don't think he has a great understanding the value.

Was advised I could do part staging. eg putting pictures up.

Would you prefer to buy a unit with undamaged walls or walls with pictures on them?

8. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

As an investor, freshly painted also helps ;)

9. tigerpaws

tigerpaws Active Member

thanks, a repaint is already happening tomorrow.

I myself would prefer undamaged walls. When I spoke to the agent they suggested painting for staging.

10. tigerpaws

tigerpaws Active Member

\

The plan was to art rail so it didn't damage the walls. Its really cheapness to install.

Art Hanging Systems