Best way to protect newly finish hardwood floors when moving

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Moira Rose, 2nd May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Moira Rose

Moira Rose New Member

Hi PC,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

My partner and I just bought our first property (PPOR, 1900-ish Sydney terrace house). The hardwood flooring in the front room (dining / living) was pretty knocked up, and we thought it'd be easier to refinish when the house is empty, particularly as we have a piano that will live in that room and they are a pain in the neck to move around.

Problem is I didn't fully account for timings of cure and am worried that our lovely new floors will get damaged by the movers. The floors were finished on Saturday night, and movers are coming on Tuesday. I can't delay as we need to move out of our current rental. Current floor condition - I'm walking on the floor in socks nil issue. No tackiness, slight odour still present.

I've talked to the movers and they've assured me they'll be careful and will go careful, but wondering if there's a way to provide a bit more protection. Potentials are:
    1. Towels
    2. Corrugated paper / cardboard (stuff that comes in rolls)
    3. Movers' blankets
    4. Yoga mats
    5. Nothing - its probably fine
    6. Any other tried and true suggestions?
    FYI we're not actually going to place any furniture on the floors until 7 days, this is purely for general through traffic into the rest of the house with our stuff.

Cheers,
    MR

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Don't bring anything into the rooms where you've refinished the floors (ask your floor polisher).

7 days cure time is best, airing the room &/or keep it between 20-24°C will assist curing time.

Towels etc will leave indentations in the surface, lose fluff etc if loaded prematurely.

3. Moira Rose

Moira Rose New Member

Thanks Scott, appreciate the quick response.

Our flooring guy did say 7 days full cure but we can walk on it next day. By don't bring anything into the room, do you mean no walking too?

We were intending to use the back entry for the movers, but they've told us through this room is the only viable path to the rest of the house. Is it best just to walk on it with shoes (and no protection) if the other options will damage it, or push back on the movers?

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If you are not placing furniture on the floors, where are the movers going to put it?

And what are they going to be walking through to other rooms that they'd need to walk on the new floors?

If you can, I'd push the move back, just in case.