Best Profit is Cash Profit

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by MTR, 12th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

So paper profits are just that, they are not realised profits. Naive to believe paper profits are real

MTR

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

depends I guess

If u paid 28 bucks for CBA and its 70 today...........sure its unrealised, but pretty easy to convert tommorow

ta

rolf

3. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Go to the bank with those paper profits and they might give you cold hard cash.

Kesse likes this.
  4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Equity maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate

ta

rolf

datto likes this.
  5. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Bingo!

6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I do like actual profits - but those paper losses come in handy too ;)

datto likes this.
  7. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

I take profit fairly often at least once a month and all those mega return have to locked it in real cold hard cash, gone up 10x times could fall back 5x or back to square cant be too greedy with the market.

Only sure thing is cash in the bank when things are hot and you have a lot of profit
    do nothing and wait for when you get 50bn wipe off the market head lines and some poor soul got margin call and liquidate his position then you can come back for more

Last edited: 13th Dec, 2018
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Equity is great, but today it could be $1M tomorrow it could $600K? dependent on the value of your asset, so we are at the mercy of market conditions.

MTR:)

9. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

I like all types of profits but the profits I like the most is one where I don't have to pay tax on which means it's capital growth :D.

I understand some people like cash making them feel good about cold hard cash sitting in bank account. But we all know cash is worst investment type over the long term hence once you have cash you need to go out looking for new investments to put it to work which takes effort and additional risk where you might end up with inferior investment to the one you already had. Not to mention you are working with 25%-30% less money once you factor in all the taxes and buying/selling costs that comes out of the profits.

So for me once I have found a good investment I like to hold on to it during thick and thin times because good investments always take care of themselves (providing good returns) given long enough time.

Cheers,
    Oracle.

S.T, MTR, Foxdan and 2 others like this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

You could always have a bet each way, so you sell some down when you have made some profits, take the cash and reinvest this in whatever makes sense. You don't necessarily have to put it under the mattress... :p Better still have some fun with the cash, go on a holiday, live a little.... you cant take it with you as they say

MTR:)

oracle likes this.
  11. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member