Food & Dining Best low carb recipes

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Simon Hampel, 7th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Made a batch of mousse 2 weeks ago using 2 blocks of 90% Lindt ... it was way too bitter for my liking - ended up eating less than half of the bowl between us and then I threw the rest out last week.

Made another batch today using 3 blocks of 78% Lindt. It is really really nice - great rich chocolate flavour without the bitterness. I calculate 94.4g of carbs in the whole bowl, approximately 8.6g per 100g of mousse, so not super low - but not too bad for a dessert.

2. Simon Hampel

I tried the Fat Head Pizza base yesterday. First batch was far too moist and I rolled it out too thinly - but managed to get a half decent pizza out of it. Second batch I added more almond meal and rolled it out thicker and it worked a lot better.

Didn't have any pure mozzarella (only pizza cheese blend), so decided to try the usual Bega Tasty cheese we use - but I think in hindsight that's a bit too strong flavoured. Ended up being a bit too cheesy.

Will buy some plain mozzarella for next time and try that.

The result was okay - I didn't mind it, texture was okay (I prefer my pizza base a bit more bread-like - which is why I typically use a bread mix for it), but this works quite well too. Kids weren't that impressed - but then, they love my bread-mix pizza bases, so aren't likely to accept substitutes.

Big test was leftovers for lunch today - I ended up eating it cold straight out of the fridge and it was quite nice. If a pizza tastes as good or better the next day, it gets a tick from me.

I'm keen to try making Fat Head Crackers some time - I think the cheesiness will work well and the texture would suit it.

Might have to try the Fat Head Sausage Rolls sometime too.

I like how easy the dough is to make. Four base ingredients and very little preparation time.

sharon likes this.
  3. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Free today

Ketogenic Fat Bomb Recipes: A Ketogenic Cookbook with 20 Paleo Ketogenic Recipes For Fast Weight Loss Kindle Edition

[​IMG]

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Just googled it, looks yummo.

Also, like your new avatar...nice:)

5. sharon

sharon Well-Known Member

6. Simon Hampel

I made these FatHead Crackers last weekend - worked surprisingly well!

[​IMG]

I followed the recipe more closely this time - used pure mozzarella cheese rather than tasty cheese and that made all the difference. It's a lot less oily and so I didn't need to use a heap more almond meal to stop it being so sticky. Final texture was just about ideal to work with and I was able to roll it out nice and thinly.

The taste was quite mild - definitely needs salt to add a bit of flavour. I preferred the crackers that were really well cooked (almost over cooked) - tends to bring out a bit more bite to the flavour.

Tested them with a heap of different sauces, mayo, etc - to me they were best either with just salt, or with tomato relish. I might try making my own tomato salsa and see how well that works. Would probably go okay with guacamole if you're into that kind of thing.

I can see it working well as a base for nachos and I'm keen to try it for sausage rolls too.

Now that I've got the recipe working properly (the cheese matters!), I'm looking forward to trying it on a pizza base again. It doesn't have a strong cheese flavour, so won't dominate the taste of the pizza like tasty cheese did. Aiming for a thin and crispy base (which is not what I usually do - I prefer a doughy base which is why I've traditionally used bread mix).

sharon likes this.
  7. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Don't know if this has been mentioned before but here are some great recipes.

8. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

I made my first fatbombs tonight. They are super easy and yummy! Took me ages to find a sweet recipe that wasn't cocnut flavoured. This just tastes like choc cheesecakes. I made a double batch and it made 41 heaped teaspoon size portions. Cream cheese (7g of carbs), cocoa (6g) butter (.5g) and sweetener (1.5)

All up I counted about 15 carbs for the batch. So well under .4 carbs per serve. These are for increasing the fats as needed and/or as a sweet treat.

Chocolate Fat Bombs Recipe - Low Carb Keto Diet Fat Bomb Recipe

Redwing and D.T. like this.
  9. Simon Hampel

Finally got around to trying the Fat Head Pizza base again tonight - this time using pure mozzarella for the base like I did for the crackers a few weeks back.

I rolled the base out quite thinly and cooked it in the oven before topping with my pizza sauce (tinned tomatoes with some garlic and Italian herbs added, blended in mu Nutri Ninja), some pizza cheese (mozzarella / parmesan blend), pepperoni, cabanossi and finally some capsicum (which I pre-cooked).

2017-08-13 18.56.04.jpg

Turned out really well. First slice the base was a bit soggy - had to use a knife and fork to eat it. But by the time I got to the second slice, the thin crust had firmed up a bit and I was able to eat it by hand. Really enjoyed the flavour - base was just there to hold the toppings and didn't dominate like my first attempt (using tasty cheese).

Will definitely make this again!

My wife wasn't as keen on the base - she says she preferred the cauliflower base I first tried. This Fat Head base is a lot easier to make though, so I'm not sure I want to bother with the cauli again - but perhaps I will try it some time.

Real test will be tomorrow - the test of a good pizza that it should always taste better the next day!

legallyblonde likes this.
  10. Simon Hampel

This looks good.

Rather than cocoa + sweetener, I might just use chocolate instead (Lindt 78%) and see if I can find a ratio that works.

legallyblonde likes this.
  11. legallyblonde

I ate too many and didn't lose weight. Made them again with nearly all cream cheese. So just tastes like frozen choc cheesecake and only ate them after dinner.

12. Simon Hampel

I was going to try making some of these - Brigadeiro

Brigadeiro - apparently it's a Brazilian recipe and it made with sweetened condensed milk, butter and chocolate. Probably a bit too high in carbs overall - would need to do the sums and try some variations to see if I could increase the butter and/or chocolate content to increase the fat and lower the carbs overall.

I might try substituting something else in place of the condensed milk. My mum and sister came up with an alternative lemon cheesecake recipe which uses a mixture of cream cheese and cottage cheese in place of condensed milk and I think it works really well - although there's still a fair amount of sugar in that recipe. I might try something similar here - need to do some experimentation some time.

13. legallyblonde

Open burger on salad or coleslaw.

I have mine on coleslaw with one Pattie, cheese and mayo. So yummy. Pickled cabbage is a nice touch too

Attached Files:

14. legallyblonde

Can't find a photo but silverside, cauli rice and keto cheese sauce was amazing. So filling for dinner it is how I started accidental 24 hour fast

15. BNE_Kim

BNE_Kim Member

One of my faves when you're craving a creamy pasta hit...super quick, super easy and utterly yummy mid week meal!

small onion or leek sliced
    garlic clove
    dried tomatoes chopped small
    Piece hot smoked salmon flaked (or diced bacon/ham if you don't like fish)
    pure cream (no quanity just enough to make a great sauce, you will probably use less than a 300ml carton but up to you how liquid you like it.
    fresh basil sliced (if you have it, if not it is great without or use parsley, dill whatever floats your boat) split into two lots, read recipe
    2-3 med/large zucchini - zoodled (spiralized)
    parmesan cheese
    sea salt and fresh black pepper (also a little fresh grated nutmeg if you have it)

over low heat, saute onion in olive oil (or butter or fat of choice) when transparent add the garlic clove and saute for a min or so more, then add the cream, dried tomatoes, half the basil leaves, and reduce the cream down until you have a nice creamy sauce consistency.

chuck in the salmon, and check for seasoning, add salt and pepper to taste.

Toss the zoodles through the sauce and serve topped with parmesan, the rest of the chopped basil.

16. BNE_Kim

BNE_Kim Member

Dang... can't edit to include a photo, so here it is now..

Zoodles with Hot smoked salmon

zoodles_hotsmokedsalmon.jpg

legallyblonde and Perthguy like this.
  17. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Bugger the low carbs. Chicken, chorizo and pasta. Verrrrry yumbo.