Best interest rates in the market in 2021

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by thunderstrike888, 6th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

{Note from mods - this thread continues from here: Best interest rates in the market in 2020}

Hi All,

Was hoping for some recent experiences. I have about 2.5 million in investment loans with a single major bank. What are the best fixed investment P&I rates people are getting these days?

All properties are LVR 80% or lower. Some as little as 40% LVR majority would be in the 40-75% LVR range.

I know CBA will offer 2.49% fixed P&I straight off the bat for me. I was hoping for 2.2X or 2.3X percentile range and I know they will give me a special rate because of my loan size and being a customer for 30+ years. (I have not discussed with CBA yet).

I've done research on below rates. Any other options I'm missing for good rates? I dont really care who I go with but I would like to stay with Big 4 if possible or at least one of the larger non banking lenders.

Westpac 2.29% (incl extra 0.2% discount on loans above $150k + $2k per loan cashback on refinance)
    Ubank - 2.29% Fixed P&I for 2 years
    Adelaide Bank - 2.35% Fixed P&I for 2 years
    TicToc - 2.17% Fixed P&I for 2 years
    Greater Bank - 2.39% Fixed P&I for 2 years
    Homestar - 2.18% Fixed P&I for 2 years
    P&N Bank - 2.29% Fixed P&I for 2 years
    Unibank - 2.25% Fixed P&I for 2 years

Last edited by a moderator: 28th Feb, 2021
  2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

2.24 IO with Bankfirst to 80 % lvr fixed for 3

Being a client for 30 years isnt worth a pinch of salt these days..........................
    > 2 mill sub 70 does though

ta
    rolf

thunderstrike888 likes this.
  3. thunderstrike888

Thanks - I'll check them out.

I think I've covered most of the lowest rates currently available for investors. Anyone had recent experience with CBA managing to get special rate around 2.2X% for investment P&I?

4. littletee

littletee Well-Known Member

I just refinanced out of Bank of Melbourne where I was paying 2.69% variable P&I across to Citibank (approved yesterday) for 2.29% variable P&I and also $4k cashback too - after refinancing costs I'll get to keep about $3k of it.

I think this is a very good deal one of the best out there from my research esp with cashback.

Never giveup and malleybull like this.
  5. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I assume 2.29% is Citibank's 5 year fixed rate product? The variable revert rate is 2.69%.

BOM's 5 year fixed rate is 2.19%. Had you fixed your prior loan with BOM it would likely have reverted to what you had, 2.69%.

6. littletee

littletee Well-Known Member

Nope, it's definately variable P&I with $4k cashback.

It was a special deal through a handful of brokers only apparantly.

7. Yann

Yann Well-Known Member

Yes I do, residential IPs in trust with corporate trustee. I requested my bank for a rate review in mid December and got 2.49% for 3 years fixed P&I 80%LVR and 2.99% for IO variable 80% LVR. All investment loans with a big bank.

8. Omnimaqq23

Omnimaqq23 Well-Known Member

Called my bank who is waiving the break fee (around $3k) for a fixed loan to go from 3.99% fixed to 2.86% fixed for 2 years.

Does this sound like a good deal? Or better to refinance elsewhere? The waiving of the break fee is quite attractive.

9. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Which bank is that?
    Also, as I understand, you've got to break first then re-fix. Can you break for free and then leave? ;)

10. thunderstrike888

Please tell me its CBA. I will do my loans as well. LOL

11. Rolf Latham

Unicornfunding.com.au

:)

ta
    rolf

thunderstrike888 and spludgey like this.
  12. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

That's a shame, I'm with inyourwildestdreamsloans.com.au

13. Omnimaqq23

Omnimaqq23 Well-Known Member

It's with Newcastle Permanent. I called them to calculate my break fee and ended up getting a call from the retention department. I told them I'm getting my broker to look into refinancing and they said if there was anything they could do to keep me. So they offered to waive the break fee IF I refix to two year at 2.86%

Edit: I have no idea whether this is a rare occurance or not - but potentially given how competitive pricing is and that they are not anywhere near the best prices I've seen in this thread, probably why they are waiving the fee?

New Town and meme plecko like this.
  14. filipe

filipe Well-Known Member

@Rolf Latham @martini Sorry, only just saw this reply...

So in order to get NAB down further, I actually need to go through applying and getting approval with another lender; then submit the discharge form, and at this point they know I am 100% a sure thing to leave, they will possibly discount it more?

I'm still on 2.66% variable; 1.16m owing on value of ~1.6m (73% LVR). I've been agonising whether to take NABs deal of 1.98% fixed OO for 4 years.

Should I wait till RBA announcement in Feb in case RBA & NAB then drop further?
    or just bite the bullet and lock it in while I can, given it's historically not been this low?

I'm just a bit uncertain of my future plans (may develop, may sell, may want to quit my job and start a business, god who knows!) which is making me question whether locking down for 4 years is a good idea. 2 years NABs rate is 2.09 which isn't nearly as appealing. I have a fair bit in offset already so my net loan balance is <1m.

Saving 6.8k in interest a year by fixing is quite appealing though! Oh..what to do....

New Town likes this.
  15. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

If you got cash in offset and you're only paying interest on, let's call it 1 mill for round figures, you'll save $3632 p.a. if you fix it in at the 4 year fixed rate with NAB (offset account doesn't apply during the fixed period with NAB)
    There are other lenders that you could get fixed rates of 2.05% with an offset during the fixed period,
    Alternatively there are plenty of lenders offering <2.66% Variable with offset, so why would you stay with NAB?

16. Mcube

Mcube Well-Known Member

Hi, is this for investment loan with P&I payment? Or OO loan?

17. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

It was in response to the post I quoted

Mcube likes this.
  18. Rolf Latham

My experience.................dozens of times in the last 21 years.

Issue I have with that is the same as comm rebate brokers

It adds to the cost base that all other borrowers need to wear, but I guess thats life, some will always find a way to get an advantedge on their fellow humans, regardless of the impact.

ta
    rolf

19. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

My two points of view on this are:
    1) If you're even a little bit unsure around your circumstances in the next 4 year horizon I would strongly recommend reconsidering going down that path. Lots can change over that period (look at what has happened in the last 12 months for instance!). The worst case outcome would be wearing a substantial break cost if changes meant you needed to discharge or sell as an example.
    2) If you're still convinced on going with 4 year fixed then make sure it is the lowest possible rate given the time horizon.

20. filipe

filipe Well-Known Member

I should have added some important info that I’m basically stuck with Nab because I’m stretched on servicability due to a 20% income drop. I could refinance but I’d lose my 175k buffer of offset and need to drop the loan LVR.

Rolf - it seems the only way is try to find another lender willing to accept my loan refinance, do all the credit checks applications etc and then file to Nab I’m leaving, at which point they may review and offer me a better deal? Would you recommend going this extreme or unlikely to yield much of a movement in Nab’s offered rates which are fairly competitive I guess.

Interestingly UBank announced a 3 year fixed 1.75%, I would jump on this. I wonder if this gives me any further bargaining power with Nab. Unfortunately the retention team won’t even consider any negotiation on a fixed loan.

I would do a split loan of maybe 750-850k fixed and then leave remainder 250k-ish variable so that I have ability to offset that if my income boosts or I get some work bonuses during the fixed term.