Best information/investment mantra you have received

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Niche, 6th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Niche

Niche Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Following on from the post earlier around the worst advice you have ever received I am curious to know what is the best information you have ever received be it advice, a paragraph from a book, a mindset shift, a mantra or anything else that has been a major focus or success on your investment journey.

I would say for me it is to invest as early in your life as your cash flow allows.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Don't buy off the plan..

qak, W772, charttv and 2 others like this.
  3. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Think long term. 20, 30, 50, 100 years.

Niche likes this.
  4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Enjoy the journey.

The Y-man

W772, TAJ, Jess Peletier and 2 others like this.
  5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Spend a few months to educate yourself first before jumping in.

Many people are happy to spend weeks reserching the best deals on a car then haggle $1000 bucks off the price. Yet when it comes to a 500k investment they are happy to jump in knowing pretty much very little and hope for the best.

Jess Peletier likes this.
  6. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

Always give that little bit extra effort - you never know the difference it might make.

7. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

If you wish to grow financially or be happy or successful or otherwise wise in any field you need to grow first, meaning practice personal development and think BIG (read the Magic of Thinking Big book - great philosophy for happy and successful life!).
    Dad always said, work very hard (or smart) when you are young otherwise you will need to work extra hard when you are older.
    I say to my young adults, always do more in whatever you do to make your life better and as an investment into your own future!
    Many mentors and books changed my life for the better. So never stop learning after finishing school or UNI, that is the key and dream extra BIG! Just be a learner/student of what you read, practice don't just read.
    Also, be content and happy in your current moment in your current situation first... then go for it and change what you dislike or wish to achieve, it is really up to you.
    My mentor Jim Rohn was great when he also communicated to me 101 of his quotes:
    The Top 101 Jim Rohn Quotes of All Time
    If you can adopt them in your everyday life it will make your life so much better.
    "Your personal philosophy is the greatest determining factor in how your life works out." This one of one of my favourites!:)

Ace in the Hole likes this.
  8. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

I think this quote or variations of it is probably one of the most important things I’ve come to understand. At the end of the day we are the ones with the most control over our own lives, lots of people like to complain about their circumstances how hard things are but they don’t do anything to fix it. I’m a massive believer in working on things that are within your control and not wasting time on things that are outside of your control.

9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Very true.

We all have a personal philosophy whether we are conscious of it or not. Some people's philosophy works for them, some works against them. It's really that simple.

Blueskies likes this.
  10. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Jim Rohn had the biggest impact on me because I remember so many of his quotes quite often.
    I used to be a labourer for many years when i just finished school and always wanted to succeed financially.
    I was always listening to a set of Jim Rohn tapes over and over again as I drove a fair bit to different job sites to and from home.

Some of my favorites:
    Don't wish things were easier, wish you were better.
    A formal education will make you a living, self education will make you a fortune.

That's all it took to finally break through after a while of constantly trying to break out of the rat race cycle.

NHG, charttv, MWI and 1 other person like this.
  11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Ace my favourite one is:

"A major challenge in life is for each person to learn the art of standing guard at the doorway of their mind. Carefully examine the credentials and authority of those seeking to enter within that place where your attitudes are formed."

qak, JLui, charttv and 2 others like this.
  12. Ace in the Hole

That's quite a long one.
    I prefer the short and simple ones where you don't have to think too much :)

charttv likes this.
  13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I was such a dag. I memorised word for word like dozens of his quotes. After awhile they really have a visceral impact on you.

Last edited: 6th Sep, 2019
    Ace in the Hole and charttv like this.
  14. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Very true, he too was a huge impact in my life. A great human being indeed. And yes I likes those quotes a lot too, once I understood them and put them into practice they made my life so much better, wiser, easier!
    You know recently a tradie was installing part of a dividing fence two neighbouring houses from mine and on his radio all I could hear when hanging out the washing was motivation and inspiration tapes and I thought, WOW, what a cool human being, wishes to escape the rat race.
    Next door we have another redevelopment and the tradies there listen to some cool trendy current music instead.
    I don't mean to be judgmental or disrespect either but just to communicate and illustrate the difference.
    What you feed your mind, what you listen to what you read, how you process information, your thinking will influence how your life turns out!
    Some of us will realize that but some will not, hence why it is really up to us to make our life or situation or challenge better.
    THE MAJOR KEY TO YOU BETTER FUTURE IS YOU!

inertia, Bunbury and Ace in the Hole like this.
  15. Ace in the Hole

These days you have an unlimited selection of education audio books you could be listening to while doing other tasks.
    There’s really no excuse that one does not have enough time to learn when you can learn passively while still achieving your primary task.

There’s always a way for those who want it.

hozi, QB12 and Terry_w like this.
  16. Bunbury

Bunbury Well-Known Member

'Bite off more than you can chew and then chew like hell.'

qak, The Y-man, QB12 and 1 other person like this.
  17. datto

datto Well-Known Member

But what if you get someone to distract that guard and while their back is turned you sneak in?

18. hozi

hozi Well-Known Member

As @Ace in the Hole mentioned

There’s always a way for those who want it.

19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

You aint sneaking in, Dats :p

datto likes this.
  20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Everyone wants its. Wanting it is not enough, not by a long short.

It needs to be a non-negotiable need which you are willing to take massive action on, imho.

hozi likes this.