Travel & Holidays Best hotel comparison website?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by fedex, 2nd Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. fedex

fedex Well-Known Member

Anyone got an suggestions for someone looking for hotels in Japan?

Are there any websites which have the majority of listings because the main ones seem to have limited listings there.

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Not sure for Japan, but I use tripadvisor

The Y-man

3. fedex

fedex Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'll give them a crack. I was using Trivago but they were pretty lacklustre. Same thing with hotelscombined.

4. The Y-man

Actually I misunderstood you question - I thought you meant good/bad review - but I think you mean form a pricing/offer perspective?

Anyway, I still look for hotels on TA, and then use the advertising links on TA that takes me to Hotels.com, Expedia, etc

The Y-man

5. fedex

fedex Well-Known Member

As in range and available places - not necessarily price. Just looking for a place where they have the most listings so I can sift through them at my own leisure.

6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Trivago have been hit with multi-million dollar fines from the ACCC for misleading information.

Beware!
    Marg

7. fedex

fedex Well-Known Member

Yeah I saw an article with that as well.

8. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I would not have thought that one website would have provided significantly different prices from another.

Late last year, a sudden change of plans meant that I had to book into accommodation in Victoria at short notice. I had pulled over at the side of the highway, and booked through an accommodation website. I made my choice based on the price, and proceeded to pay. The booking was rejected, and I was advised to call. So I phoned, and had to make a booking from scratch - except that the rate on the room I had booked (or the standard of the room, I'm not quite sure) wasn't available. I needed to accept a booking at a higher cost - and then had to call the hotel, because the half hour I was pulled over making the booking meant that I had missed the last check-in time.

Dick Smith advises finding the accommodation on the website, and then calling the accommodation direct to make the booking. As I ended up calling them anyway, I wasted a lot of extra time in attempting to go through the website.

9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

For Japan you might want to try Rakuten Travel - Get the best deals on Japanese Hotels and Ryokans

I gather you want to find a conglomerate of ideas to help choose?

I generally always use something like that then book directly with the hotel. Most hotels will have a pricing policy where they will beat any advertised special on a site and generally 99% of the time the hotel price is the lowest.

I'm also a member of a few hotel groups so get cheaper rates that way anyway.

10. peastman

peastman Well-Known Member

I find Google Maps is pretty good. Just type in "hotel" and all listings come up for the area in the map.
    The best price is often the actual hotel website, so always check it.

11. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I like to know a little about where I'm staying. There are some quite low standard places around. Or if I'm going to have to use the bathroom down the hallway, I'd like to know about it. Even just to know what credit cards are acceoted, or if breakfast is included.

It can be good even just to know how much they cost.

Last edited: 3rd Feb, 2019
  12. investoradam

investoradam Well-Known Member

Not sure how it would fair in Japan but I’ve been travel around SE Asia last 7 months staying in hotels to hostels and found
    Hotels combined is average
    Trivago just takes you to other websites like wotif and last minute

TripAdvisor or booking.com be the best & easy to use with picture, review about the venue

Spoke to a lot of travels over the time and they had been using Agoda!

Dick Smith: Travel booking ‘con’ sucking millions from local businesses

Interesting stuff from old dick smith as well about those booking apps about screwing businesses over

13. Poppy

Poppy Well-Known Member

Booking.com every time

Marg4000 likes this.
  14. The Y-man

Have used tripadvisor every time to select the hotel in SEA (from reviews, and then used the links to book - so far used Hotels.com, agoda, and expedia. All have been fine for me.

Reading this thread just made me reailse I have developed some odd habits like whenever I first enter the hotel room, the camera comes out before any of by gear gets in the scene! :eek:

And I wonder if the staff cotton on to what's happening when I have my camera out (although these days much more discreet with iphone camera) taking photo of the breakfast etc .

The Y-man

15. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

From what I do is start with trip==advisor then target the hotel you want from what people talk about ,don't worry about the bottom 4% that always complain when they stay1-2 nights then think their complaints will get them a few free nights ..LOOK at one's that stay 2-3 plus weeks a see what they complain about..

Or a very simple way and I don't want to link this site with copyright alerts is look into the Hilton as they have a wide coverage within Japan within their Hiltons honors rewards programs and most times it starts at 15% less within the Hilton rewards then just span 3 =5 months ahead then as it always does when they have a slow months in sales they drop 50% in prices balance the books the go back above 70% random booked then back to normal prices AI can only think one way unlike human mindsets..

Last edited: 3rd Feb, 2019
  16. fedex

fedex Well-Known Member

So many good ideas, Trip Advisor, Hotels and expedia look good for all intents and purposes.

When do you guys normally book in advance for hotels if it is for peak season? 2-3 months?

17. The Y-man

I usually don't book anything (let alone plan any travel) until 4 weeks before..... can't plan travel that far ahead for us....

The Y-man

18. Peppas

Peppas Well-Known Member

Last year when I went to Japan I actually booked all my accom through agoda. I think Amex had a 10% off deal. Otherwise most of the travel websites you can also get some cash back via Cashrewards.

One thing I noticed yesterday trying to book accom for another trip is that the pricing changed within a few hours. Bit annoyed as all the prices went up!

19. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

When overseas, we use bookings.com for convenience. In Australia we always book direct, but use comparison sites to choose which ones to contact.

Any comparison site will only show places prepared to pay their (often hefty) commission.
    Marg

20. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

can say that for some reason japan non confirm with te rest of the world and tripadvisor/agoda etc, arent very good for hotels, i had help from a japanese friend with my hotels, and they werent the main stream ones