QLD Best BNE suburb for max CG next 6 years <$900k (Mitchelton, Lota, Manly, Ferny Grove, other)

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by d3outguncom, 20th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. d3outguncom

d3outguncom Well-Known Member

Thank you to everyone who posts their experience about BNE market. Have read all the posts on BNE. Have narrowed down to these 3 areas - Mitchelton, Manly/Lota, Ferny Grove. Budget up to $900.

These kinds of properties:
    Ferny Grove: https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-qld-ferny+grove-136045166
    Ferny Grove: https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/...e=rea:sold:srp-map&sourceElement=listing-tile
    Lota: https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/...e=rea:sold:srp-map&sourceElement=listing-tile
    Lota: https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/...e=rea:sold:srp-map&sourceElement=listing-tile
    Manly: https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/...e=rea:sold:srp-map&sourceElement=listing-tile
    Mitchelton: https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/...e=rea:sold:srp-map&sourceElement=listing-tile

Looking to maximise CG over next 6 years. Not as concerned about yield/gearing. If you could only choose one of these areas to focus on, which one and why? If you really believe there is a better option, where and why?

Thanks again,
    D3

2. d3outguncom

d3outguncom Well-Known Member

Have seen Cannon Hill and Ashgrove suggested by Michael Yardney.

3. alanyin

alanyin Well-Known Member

All the four areas you mentioned above have grown massively in the current cycle.

My guess is that Ferny Grove will have the best CG potential as it hasn't grown as much as the other three suburbs.

4. alanyin

For Ashgrove, the median house price was $569.9k in Jan 2012. The median house price now is $1.21M. It has doubled in the current cycle.

Cannon Hill's median house price was around $500k when it hit the bottom in Jan 2012. The median house price now is $901k. That's an 80% increase.

There are plenty of suburbs sitting at 20-40% increase from their previous bottoms.

On the other hand, New Farm's median house price is now $2.09m according to CoreLogic. That's a 57.6% increase in the last 12 months and ~140% in the last 10 years (the median house price was ~$850k from its previous bottom). I would expect most Brisbane suburbs to double in this cycle.

Would I buy Ashgrove, Cannon Hill or New Farm now? Probably not...

Last edited: 20th Jul, 2021
    brisbaneboi likes this.
  5. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Carina Heights

Firefly99 and M & C like this.
  6. Palo

Palo Member

Hi, where would I find historic median house prices going back to 2012 on a per suburb basis? I can find YoY changes, but struggling to find anything long term?

Cheers

Palo

7. Confusedbuyer11

Confusedbuyer11 Well-Known Member

Hey All, apart from the suburbs OP mentioned, do you see value in Stafford Heights for good CG in next 6-7 years?
    reason - I'm in process of finalizing an investment property there and was wondering does it makes sense to invest now or has it already moved so much that future CG does not looks good.

PinkPanther likes this.
  8. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

Perhaps a suburb that has always been popular but hasn’t moved much in this boom? A renovator in Bulimba?

9. Jamie Gartner

Jamie Gartner Member

Where are you getting this data from?

10. alanyin

You can get data for the past 10 years through RP Data. The market insights section in the signature product (where you generate CMA reports) can give you 20 years of median house price data, on a per suburb basis.

I know people can get up to 40 years but I am guessing that was either through a higher tier subscription or through the RP data api endpoints (for which you have to call programmatically). But I have never tried it before.

@datageek Jeremy would you mind sharing some tips as to where we can get 40 years of data? Thanks so much in advance!

brisbaneboi likes this.
  11. alanyin

From RP Data. Please see my post above.

12. Jamie Gartner

Jamie Gartner Member

Can you get access to the CMA reports with the 1 week free trial?

13. alanyin

I would think so... That's the whole reason they give you the trial.

14. Branden

Branden Well-Known Member Business Member

From the list you have suggested I would choose Ferny Grove (or Ferny Hills), though, the other three aren't bad options as well.

15. SuperOlaf

SuperOlaf Well-Known Member

You can try the following link for ten year of median (12m rolling), plus few more data points, for any suburb.

https://www.onthehouse.com.au/suburb-research

16. PropDir

PropDir Well-Known Member Business Member

We provide capital growth data going back 40 years covering every Australian suburb, at PropertyDirector.

If you would like access, please go to Register | PropertyDirector and select the Professional plan.

I am sharing this because a number of people here have subscribed to the same plan and utilise our suburb capital growth reports extensively - it is high quality data, and visualised/presented in better fashion than RP data.

You can compare up to 6 suburbs at once simultaneously over a 40 year period - I've attached an example comparing 3 suburbs from 1982 up-to-and-including now (Logan, Ferny Grove, Eagleby).

If you have any questions regarding access feel free to contact me here on the forum, or email me at [email protected].

Attached Files:

17. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

Ask me in 6 years time :rolleyes:

Branden likes this.
  18. Jamie Gartner

Jamie Gartner Member

Do you have monthly data to see which suburbs have risen the most over the past 12-18 months?

RP data's login/set up system is the opposite of user friendly.

19. ndpjai

ndpjai Well-Known Member

Mitchelton aim for 600sqm plus as its closer to CBD, should be able to get below $900k

20. PropDir

PropDir Well-Known Member Business Member

Hi @Jamie Gartner - the capital growth reporting shows the prices based on annual growth however we intend to provide the option of showing this at a quarterly level in future.

Monthly often shows weird spikes and troughs because the quantity of properties sold are often not sufficient enough in one month to get a meaningful figure.

Yes absolutely, PropertyDirector has been built to visualise reports beatifully on any platform including web/desktop and mobile devices. It's been built responsively and is super user friendly.