Belmont retain and build issues - flexible code

Discussion in 'Development' started by Perthguy, 25th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

A single house - is a dwelling on a green title lot or survey strata lot with NO common property. So if you can create the rear lot with no common property to the front lot then you could just get a building license for the rear house without DA. Well that is my interpretation.

As I think you would need common property (ie driveway) why not just do they survey strata now and DA at the same time. I'm trying to convince a council about this too and it's an uphill slog. Survey strata can be done before, during or after construction. So I want them to approve DA with a condition that it is survey strata. Survey strata will be approved in due course (90 + days) and titles will be achieved when all services and conditions are met (presumably at the end)

Perthguy likes this.
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Yes. That's from the R-Codes. What I am looking at is the new Planning and Development (Local Planning Schemes) Regulations 2015. I am not sure the R-Codes definitions will apply to regulations as regs are a higher order of policy. But then the regs directly reference the R-Codes so it is quite possible that you are correct. Hang on while I check the FAQs. Nothing useful.

I will have to talk to council to see how they are interpreting this.

3. Perthguy

I spoke to council and they are not wanting to support the development until the DA site plan shows an "indicative" minimum lot size of 350sqm per lot, even though they acknowledge we have no intention of subdividing to create those lots and that approving the development with those indicative lot sizes has no impact on our ability to subdivide in the future to R30. Sigh. Oh well, may as well jump through their hoops and get the approval. It has been over 4 months, which seems a ludicrously long time for 1 additional dwelling on a 4 unit site.

4. Perthguy

Update: DA approved 15th of April. woo! It's on! :)

The final approved plans are attached. They are ludicrous! lol

Lot 1 (retaining the existing hosue) is 382m2 and Lot 2 (for the new dwelling) is 433m2. Basically the back block is twice the size it needs to be! o_O Lucky those lot sizes aren't binding :p

Westminster, thydzik, soggy and 2 others like this.
  5. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

Are they? ;)

6. Perthguy

Oh oops. I didn't finish that sentence. The final approved plans are attached to the approval letter. lol

I had not seen them prior to the approval. Good thing too. I would have had a fit! o_O

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I was gobsmacked when I checked out rents in Perth yesterday, I did not realise they have dropped so low. A property that once rented for $1000 pw is now renting for $650. I hope this changes in the very near future.

8. Perthguy

Oh yeah, rents are still grim in our area. I have been taking the low rents into consideration when running numbers which is one reason why deals have not been stacking up for the past 12 months