Health & Family Bell's Palsey

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Rockstar, 30th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Rockstar

Rockstar Well-Known Member

I was diagnosed with Bell's Palsey last saturday after being given antibiotics and nasal spray for a suspected sinus infection a few days previous. With deteriorating vitality, increased severe pains under my ear, difficulty sleeping, left eye not closing and my face feeling paralysed down the left side, I went and consulted a different doctor who picked the Bell's Palsey. Now after a few days of prednisolone I am feeling much better though apparently the paralysis can take some time to disappear.
    Anyone had this before?

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that @Rockstar. I have not had and do not want what you have been diagnosed with but I have used prednisone before a couple of times. It's a brilliant medication but you need to be careful coming off it - which you cannot do cold turkey.

3. Rockstar

Yes, it has me buzzing. No wonder it was recommended to take in the morning rather than later in the day! My Doc has me reducing the dosage week after week and should be free from meds after the 3rd week.
    The upside is that it is also helping my shoulder tendonitis recover more rapidly! (-: Another little nasty I have been dealing with over the past 6 weeks. The physio has been using ultra sound and interferential therapy to sort that stubborn injury out.

Perthguy likes this.
  4. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Yes it fixes lots of things as a side. Even when reducing down I found days of fatigue and at least a day of fevers and chills. But it's magic when taking it. Hope you're better soon mate.

5. Rockstar

Thanks for the warning Prop.
    I'd better get the lawns mowed while I am pumped! (-;

Sasim and Scott No Mates like this.
  6. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

A teacher had this at my high school. The left side of her face had completely fallen, she had the first 2 weeks off and had some issues speaking when she came back to school. From memory she was fine before the end of term so 2 months maybe? This was more than 20years ago...

Good luck with your recovery!

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I believe that @datto can help if he's free.

datto likes this.
  8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

A friend had it this year.
    She ended up at hospital as they were worried it was a stroke as it can have very similar symptoms.
    Luckily it was just Bells Palsy. She needed eye ointment and drops to keep the eye that couldn't close/blink from drying out and after about 2 weeks her speech was pretty much back to normal.
    Good luck with yours. Sounds like a fairly mild case so you should see good improvement soon.

9. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Well, I got a busy schedule and I do need a days rest between cuts. Maybe I need that prednisone stuff.

Get well soon Rockstar.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  10. Lightning

Lightning Member

Hey Rockstar, I had this when I was a kid, probably 25 years ago now. Mine was just from swollen glads after the flu from what I can remember. No medication back then. It was pretty frightening at the time but after 2 weeks or so I started to get some feeling and movement and after a couple of months all was back to normal. Hope you get better soon

11. JasonC

JasonC Well-Known Member

Rockstar,

I had Bells Palsey about 15 years ago now. It lasted about 2-3 weeks and then control slowly came back. I remember getting facial twitches before starting to get control back.

I had issues with my eye getting very dry because it didn't blink so had to use drops with it. Was pretty scary at the time but a few months later it was completely back to normal.

Best of luck.

Jason

12. drg86

drg86 Well-Known Member

I've had to live with a similar condition my whole life. At birth I had a nerve damaged and the right side of my face is partially paralysed. Can move my mouth a bit on that side and close my eye but not tightly. Can talk fine as I leant to like this. Most noticeable when I smile/laugh. School was hell but live a very normal life now. Good luck with the recovery.

13. Rockstar

Thanks for the feedback and well wishes everyone. Feeling a few more twitches around my nose and lip today so I hope the nerves are beginning to repair their normal function. Halved the steroid dose this morning so hopefully the rest of my nervous system can begin to calm down a little!

MTR likes this.
  14. Jerry O

Jerry O Well-Known Member

I know 3 friends who had it. One of them took 3 weeks to recover and the other 2 took 2 months. It was a bit scary but it seems like it "heals" itself overtime. One had his face massaged every 3 days. Not sure if that will make a difference but he's the one that recovered the fastest.

Get well soon Rockstar!

15. Sasim

Sasim Well-Known Member

Hei Rockstar,
    Great to hear you have feeling coming back. My Dad had it years ago, my neighbour just three months ago. Have you had "routine blood tests" done also just to check for general health/ inflammation indicators etc? Not asking with any intention behind it - just a big believer in listening to our bodies (yet no angel with what I eat and little exercise).

Great that the doc has you coming off the Prednisolone slowly...I wasn't privy to such advice when I was on it! Man oh man the crash and the weeks of headaches almost took the fun out of the few months of feeling fantastic... the house was never cleaner! :)

Keep recovering

16. Rockstar

Thanks folks, I've stopped taking my prednisolone. It's making me too agitated and racey. Yesterday was quite horrible. Sensation is returning to my face each day so I think all will return to normal soon. Feeling a lot calmer today so looking forward to normal mental function again. I might be more sensitive to the steroid because I haven't taken any drug or alcohol for almost 30 yrs. Quite a shock to the system but it did settle the pain and paralysis pretty quickly so I'm grateful for the medication.

Sasim likes this.
  17. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I had a course once and the doctor didn't really warn me much...

Holy crap I've never felt more amazing in my life during that week.

Propertunity likes this.