QLD Beenleigh or Springwood

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by RodS89, 21st Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. RodS89

RodS89 New Member

Hi, I’m currently looking at investing in SEQ and I just finished reading the Shaping SEQ Planning Report that details the future planning for the region until 2041.

See report here - https://dilgpprd.blob.core.windows.net/general/shapingseq.pdf

In the report, it identifies the principal regional activity centres. Beenleigh, Ipswich, Sprinfield, and Springwood are included under this. I’d be keen to get the thoughts of everyone on the forum, around which of these suburbs has the most potential. I’m leaning towards Beenleigh and Springwood as I like the idea of being between Brisbane and the Gold Coast. Is there anything I should be wary about with either of these suburbs?

2. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Springwood is a lot better from a socioeconomic point of view than Beenleigh, this is reflected in the price though.

Tom Rivera, MikeyBallarat and KayTea like this.
  3. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Springwood is a good option. During the comm games it was apparent that Beenleigh is becoming more important as the gold coast grows. It is a place where both Bris and Gold Coast are accessible, and has a good express train service. For me the train is imperative as I think public transport is hugely important. I think Beenleigh is a better option that Ipswich, and the outer development areas (Jimboomba, Yarrabilba), and I think Springwood has some benefits but lacks the train line.

Both good options in my opinion, different price brackets.

LongGame_Kate and Blueskies like this.
  4. Coxy89

Coxy89 Well-Known Member

Springwood has a train line it just doesnt connect direct to GC. You have to go into brissy to change onto the GC line. Maybe one day they will connect the springwood and beenleigh lines but doubtful.

5. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

For an IP Beenleigh
    35 mins from surfers paradise
    45 mins from coolangatta airport
    20 mins from Brisbane CBD (without traffic)
    low entry point with 5-6% yield
    lot of development (infrastructure) in the area with an existing good train line

Nothing wrong with Springwood but yield is lot lower and i dont feel its good value for money with house prices nearly 70-80% more than Beenleigh. Feels like Springwood already had some increases while Beenleigh still has a bit left in it for now

6. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

Yeah the problem with that is it isn't actually close enough to any of those to be a selling point. Not sure 20 minutes is achievable even without traffic.

I would be buying an old walk up unit in a blue chip before any of those options at similar price.

Codie likes this.
  7. icic

icic Well-Known Member

8. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Everyone's comments here are fantastic. Both are great up-and-coming picks, but the desirability is already reflected in the price. Springwood is a "better" area with more potential, but it's a lot more expensive. If it were me and I wasn't considering development land -just a good investment as is-, I'd be putting my money on a carefully chosen property in Beenleigh.

9. miola

miola Member

Would you mind sharing what would be "a carefully chosen property in Beenleigh"? What location would you choose and what property - 3 bd vs. 4 bd ? Outdoor area? What else?

10. Tom Rivera

Geez that's a hard one to be put on the spot for! It's really hard to say because every property will be a different combination of price, condition, features, etc.

To be as general as possible, I have a strong preference for 4/2/2 with wardrobes, security screens and air-conditioning no matter where it is. Specifically to Beenleigh, you want to pick your street/neighbourhood carefully- there's some great streets, but there's also plenty of feral areas. It's pretty representative of Logan on a whole- not a place you want to buy sight unseen.

Ryan23 and miola like this.
  11. miola

miola Member

Thanks, Tom. Makes sense.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  12. John_S

John_S Mortgage Broker

For someone without serviceability issues Springwood could be good for long term growth with potentially better tenants than Beenleigh...

However if you are like me and wary of hitting the serviceability wall it's hard to go past the yields in Beenleigh...

miola and Tom Rivera like this.
  13. radioactive

radioactive Well-Known Member

How about Belivah if any one is familiar?
    I am hearing that much more OO stock as estates are limiting investors to only 20 percent.

14. Tom Rivera

Each estate will individually tailor its internal policies and procedures on sales. Belivah is a lovely spot and I believe one or more of the developments around there are trying to avoid an overabundance of rentals (don't want to make the Yarrabilba mistake), but of course you want to do your due diligence on the specifics of what you're looking at before pulling the trigger.

15. radioactive

radioactive Well-Known Member

Many Thanks!