BCC sues "Slumlord" for unpaid rates

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by RPI, 22nd Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

3. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

How long did it take him to rack up this bill? Looking at the amounts involved I'm guessing somewhere around ten years. Why didn't the council take action earlier?

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

What was he thinking!
    $807,000 in unpaid rates

that he didn't need to pay rates. Why did he even argue it in the Supreme Court (probably had not money to pay I guess).

5. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

What was the council thinking ??? BCC should have picked this up very early on. It should have alerted BCC to take action early.

6. Plutus

Plutus Well-Known Member

Ted Amos has a bit of a rep up here. They've been hitting him with defective building notices for decades & fighting with him for longer than I've been alive. If I recall correctly, I'm pretty sure I remember reading in the news a few years back that he used to be a real estate agent but lost his license after conning some mentally ill woman into selling her place below market rate. Could be wrong though.

Also he's very litigious so Ted if you're reading this, please don't sue me - I have nothing worth taking.

bob shovel likes this.
  7. Plutus

Plutus Well-Known Member

Went searching for that 80's case, didn't have much luck but he's not exactly a stranger to a court room.
    Supreme Court Library Queensland |

On an unrelated note I had a quick skim through that page and I noticed the name Monsour popping up a lot, so I did another search on the two names:

Supreme Court Library Queensland |

If anyone has some spare time there could be some very interesting material there. If its the Monsour family I'm thinking of, that's Campbell Newman's (recent ex-Premier of QLD) father in law.. If I'm recalling correctly there were some very "interesting" re-zonings right before Campbell stepped down as lord mayor of Brisbane.

The tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist in me is drawn like a moth to flame by anything that suggests a potential link between the former Brisbane Mayor/Premier of the state & a guy who has had ongoing issues with the Brisbane council.

Pumpkin and Whitecat like this.
  8. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Interesting stuff. Thanks @Plutus

9. Plutus

Plutus Well-Known Member

Found an article about the 80s "incident". Looks like based on this BCC have been fighting with him since at least the early 90's.
    No Cookies | The Courier Mail

10. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Better keep an eye on Council auctions, just in case....

11. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Campbell was a bit of a crook for sure. Hooked up a lot of deals.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.