Battle axe strata vs green title

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Kapot, 28th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kapot

Kapot Well-Known Member

Hello, what are the essential differences between strata and green titles for the battle axe blocks (i.e., a block divided into two parts with rear and front houses)?
    What should be the price difference between them?
    How good from investment prospective to buy such a battle axe house on strata block (with no common property)?

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Usually the biggest difference is that often its been strata titled so that the driveway is a common driveway.

Otherwise there isn't a whole lot of difference with owner rights between green title and a two-lot survey strata scheme with no common property.

Kapot likes this.
  3. Kapot

Kapot Well-Known Member

Thanks @thatbum What about the case when the house boundaries are also shown on the strata plan? I.e, the plan has both, the land boundaries as well as the building on it.
    As I understand, when one simply buys a survey strata land, and then builds on it a house, then the house boundaries will not be added on the strata plan, is it correct? So, are these two types of strata plans a different thing?

Frankie1111 likes this.
  4. Kapot

Kapot Well-Known Member

Attached is an example of the strata plan I am talking about. Please give me your feedback on buying such investment property.

Attached Files:

Frankie1111 likes this.
  5. Kapot

Kapot Well-Known Member

What I don't understand is that on this strata plan the unit entitlements is 50/50 for lots 1/2, i.e., equal. How does it align with the fact that the lot 2 has more total land (550m2) as compared to lot 1 (357m2)?

6. thatbum

Unit entitlement is based on value, not area. Its possible they are worth approximately the same.

7. Kapot

Kapot Well-Known Member

I see. Do you think it is OK to buy into such a title with building boundaries drawn?

8. thatbum

Depends what you want to do with your lot really. You might not be able to do that much without having permission from the other lot owner.

9. Kapot

Kapot Well-Known Member

I was going to buy and hold with this one.
    What is better for capital growth, to buy such strata house 7km from the city, or a house on a larger ~700m2 green title block further out, e.g. in Warwick? @Westminster

10. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

That is the good question and is likely to come down to each individual deal/site. I don't think there is an easy answer as all suburbs are not equal nor are all strata houses or house houses. I assume you're talking about a budget of lets say $500k - most of the time I would say that it's best to buy something with land component but if you found something unique that was strata and it was close to the city then it could out perform

Frankie1111, BuyersAgent and Kapot like this.
  11. Kapot

Kapot Well-Known Member

Thanks @Westminster @thatbum

12. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

^^ what he said. However if you want less stress, then stick to simple - go for sites you can control, have higher chance of succeeding in the development and with less risk.

13. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

^^what ‘she’ said ;)

Kapot likes this.