Battery powered mowers

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Hodor, 24th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

For anyone interested I ended up with the AEG 58v mower, two batteries and a free chainsaw made it cheaper than EGO.

First the bad;
    On the lowest cut setting it is very difficult to push as the deck drags and drags in longer buffalo a but on the second lowest (this is my biggest and only real gripe).
    Batteries don't last long on the lowest setting (which is basically unuseable/unpushable due to above) with the mulch plug in.

The good;
    Two batteries means one can charge while using the other and they charge very quickly
    I have buffalo lawn and can mow almost the entire yard on one battery on the second lowest setting with the mulch plug in, if it wasn't so long each time I mow it probably would make it
    Plenty of power.
    Chainsaw is actually worth having and does the job unlike other battery ones I have used.
    Line trimmer has heaps of power.

The Y-man likes this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Doea the lowest setting allow mulching? (my petrol mower only mulches in a set range sad the grass needs to be aerated and cut finely for mulch) .

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Same with my petrol mower - only mulches on the higher settings (the rest are ‘catcher only’ settings).

This is marked on the mower.

4. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Maybe it's not designed to and that's the problem, I'll have to try it without the mulch plug in, pretty sure it's the deck and thick buffalo that's the main problem

5. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

On my mowers that are push, the lowest setting will cut back too the dirt, it is only good for use on very flat surface say with couch...or when you want to kill off the existing grass if course like ky etc

Re mulch, my one that mulches has no range, mulch on any setting, but mulching dirt is no good for the dirt, lawn or the mower blades...

Why are you hung up being able to use the lowest setting ?

6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Yep - might be the buffalo. Last year, my buffalo lawn was so thick and springy I could hardly get my Honda mower through it. The mower sank so far into it I had to use the higher cutting settings (and the lawn wasn’t that tall!)

I cut it low in early spring to remove the thatch and its now much easier to mow. (Thanks to reading the discussion on a lawn forum).

Hodor likes this.
  7. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Didn't mean it to come off that way, it is something my petrol mower could do without trouble (power could struggle at times, still easy to push) yet battery ones seem to have trouble with. I try to mow it really short a couple of times a year to help de-thatch the Buffalo, encourage new growth and stops it going too thick/spongy.

The shortest setting on the AEG isn't near as short as my petrol mower was. In general I prefer the AEG mower, when the previous mower could do something and now I can't it isn't ideal.

8. dabbler

I used the first position just a few days ago.....cause I am killing off a patch....if I remember, I will take a shot later....it is nasty !

Of course not all lawns are the same, so therefore the many adjustments ...

9. dabbler

Yeah, a battery mower and the cheaper electric ones I have seen are not going to be able too compete at all with capability of a decent petrol engine mower.

10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We bought our son the AEG battery mower with the special just finished. It is for Christmas, but had to be registered by 30 November, so he has already given it a try. He did the whole yard 600sqm on one battery and loves it.