Bathroom renovation - what to do with the existing walls?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Frank2000, 16th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Frank2000

Frank2000 Member

Hi guys,

I have a bathroom that needs complete renovation. Currently there are old ceramic tiles halfway up plasterboard/villaboard walls. I would like to put new porcelain tiles all the way to ceiling.

My question is: do I have to demolish the existing walls and then put new villaboard on before tiling? Is there anyway to keep the existing walls to save costs?

Thanks,
    Frank

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Just bust the tiles off and as long as the walls are in good nick, you're good to go

3. Raydar

Raydar Well-Known Member

You have said some things that are contradictory.
    and also
    If you're after a complete renovation, to me that says it's a total gut job.
    Depending on how old everything is you would want to do this anyway. If you're after a cosmetic reno, what you're suggesting might just work. But you might be pushed trying to match tiles.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Better off stripping the wall cladding - saves trying to get tikes off carefully. New compressed fibre cement sheeting, waterproof membrane then tile.

Membrane over a rough surface is pretty poor and a leak won't save you anything.

5. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

^^^ this.
    Tried prying wall tiles off - more trouble thanks it's worth.
    Just cut the part wall out and reclad

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

But it'll save me money (& results in a less than satisfactory job). ;)

7. Frank2000

Frank2000 Member

Thanks Raydar. I would like to have all old tiles replaced by the new ones. Whether the walls are old or new doesn't bother me as they will be behind the tiles anyway. Waterproofing is another concern though.

8. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Do an asbestos test on the walls before you get too into it - jut to be on the safe side.

MattADL, Gingin and Scott No Mates like this.
  9. Frank2000

Frank2000 Member

Thanks for the reminder. The house was built in mid 90s. I think it should be asbestos free.

10. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

You are probably right. Asbestos has not been used in domestic building materials since the 1980s. BUT it was not until 31 December, 2003, asbestos and all products containing asbestos have been banned throughout Australia. A test is a cheap insurance policy for your health's sake.

11. Frank2000

Frank2000 Member

Thanks Propertunity. Will get a test organized to make sure there is no surprise:)

12. Raydar

Raydar Well-Known Member

I agree with what scott no mates said. Strip the walls to the stud work. It will do it in half the time rather trying delicately remove tiles, you risk damaging the water proofing.
    I would always, where feasible, remove the old completely. You never know what might be hiding behind decades old work. Wads of cash, or leaking pipe :/

Perthguy likes this.
  13. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

We're currently organising for asbestos removal in a bathroom. It's not as expensive as I thought it would be. Definitely better to get the experts in to give you an idea.