Bathroom Renovation Layout

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Coota9, 6th Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

Doing some early plans on bathroom renovation on my PPOR..

Image below is current layout with 900mm corner shower base,Spa bath on left hand wall(1) and vanity (2)next to it.
    B301C811-0958-4E11-91A0-DA704FBAE0E4.jpeg
    Image below is a rough plan with us extending out shower wall to have both walls 3.6m and incorporating a double shower,free standing bath(1400-1500mm) and a 1500mm vanity(4)

Any ideas on layout,better use of space welcomed…
    DC083581-755B-4541-AA50-0F1E99D44032.jpeg

2. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Where would you put towel rails? When you get out of the shower you probably don't want to walk all the way over to the opposite wall.

craigc and Coota9 like this.
  3. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

The top divider between the shower and the bath.

It is a bit cramped but I can't really think of a better layout without sacrificing something. Does the house have another toilet? Do you need the toilet in there?

4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Would you use such a large sink in the vanity? I require some dry bench space next to our sinks and I have never thought to myself "gee I wish I had a larger sink". We have dual sinks which are very useful.

craigc likes this.
  5. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

That’s just the way the app draws them ;)

craigc and Angel like this.
  6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I looked at this last night and tried swinging the door the other way with a stopper in the floor and the toilet behind it, so that with the door open, you don't see the toilet. The stopper in the floor becomes a toe-breaker and means you have to hang the toilet roll behind you, not ideal.

If you put the toilet in the corner, you likely will never see it with the door open (what is outside that door?).

You could have 950mm shower, 1500mm bath and still have a 1000mm vanity if you have it in the corner. It allows a large area to dry yourself in and your towels can hang on the spare wall.

Our shower is 950 x 1200 and yours would give even more room to shower without feeling cramped.

In our bathroom, we have a robe hook just outside the glass shower screen to step out and grab our towel, and then we hang it on the rails which are beside our bath.

In your set up, you could also have extra towel rails behind your door (some people won't like that I guess). Image 7-8-21 at 10.21 am.jpeg

Coota9 and Marg4000 like this.
  7. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately this is the only toilet in the house..thought about housing toilet separately and building a wall but would probably use up to much space

8. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

Yep App is MagicPlan and is very much a rough mud map

9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I like Coota's plan in post #1 with a large vanity on the long wall, but position the toilet next to the bath so there is more space to stand in front of it than it currently has close to the bath. Towels can hang above the bath when no-one is using it.

10. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

Agreed @Angel

2239E109-9660-4E05-887A-92FAF761A167.jpeg

Thoughts @Westminster

Firefly99 likes this.
  11. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Hey @Coota9 good to see you!

I like this last version the best. There's not going to be a heap of room between vanity and toilet but it will be enough.

Is the blue lines shower screens or tiled walls? I would potentially swing the door the other way or it's likely to hit the screens and smash them.

For towels I would probably use robe hooks. These could be on the back of the door, on the shower blue lines (if they aren't glass) or even an over shower screen holder like this

[​IMG]

craigc and Sackie like this.
  12. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

@Westminster
    Do you mean space between bath and toilet or standing room between toilet and vanity?

13. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

On a side note, heated towel rails take up a bit of room but they're oh so nice in the middle of winter vs a cold damp towel. That also explains my aversion to towel hooks ie towels don't dry adequately.

skater likes this.
  14. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Between the toilet and the vanity. There will be enough, just be mindful when selecting toilet suites and vanities that they are ones that are too deep so that there is room to stand and move between the 2.

15. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

We will look at doing a back to wall bath and also a slimline toilet to give us more space..

Westminster likes this.
  16. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

A freestanding bath would work ok but chose a narrower one. We have a wide freestanding bath, and probably should have chosen a narrower one to save water (though nobody uses the bath much these days - but it looks nice).

And we chose an in-wall cistern and a slightly narrower wall hung basin because they face each other and we didn't have a lot of room. We also pushed the mirror cabinet into the wall cavity. It all works well and doesn't feel tight.

Westminster and Angel like this.
  17. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

Thanks @wylie all great suggestions..

Son has done a bathroom reno recently and pushed in his mirror cabinet into the wall cavity to gain extra room..

I think I have settled on the layout but before I purchase bath/vanity & toilet I will dedicate a 3.6 X 2 mtr space on my garage floor to see if it’s workable with cardboard cut outs first…

craigc, Angel and wylie like this.