Bathroom Reno questions

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by ATANG, 14th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

Hi Guys, just thought I ask some bathroom Reno questions. So this is an outdated bathroom with original tiles, vanity shelf, shower frame and base and a blank plaster wall.

I am thinking of getting a trade to come in and do the following but not sure if these are in correct order:

1. Tradie: Remove existing wall tiles (with plaster wall behind), floor tiles, toilet, shower frame and vanity cabinetry.
    2. Me: Then apply insulation batts in between the stud walls.
    3. Tradie: Install flooring underlay boards, plaster walls for backing tiles
    4. Tradie: Waterproofing plaster walls and underlay flooring
    5. Tradie: Start tiling two walls (including shower area) and flooring
    6. Me: Apply EasyCraft panel on two walls
    7. Tradie: Install new toilet, shower fittings and vanity
    8. Me: Painting on Easycraft panel

Hope get some clarity whether this is the correct planning? :)

Also, does shower frame sit on top of floor tiles?
    What is the average cost for tiling a wall of say 6sqm?

2. Omnimaqq23

Omnimaqq23 Well-Known Member

If all the plumbing are not changing then that sounds about right. Is the ceiling staying there? Or coming in new? We kept our existing ceiling so the wall tiles and the ceiling had a small gap which we had to cover up with a cornice.

Not sure about the condition of your floors but we also had to level the floor before waterproofing. The tiler had to level according to how the water can flow to the floor wastes

Your shower frame sits on top of the tiles. Just make sure if you're going frameless that the tiler tiles it so you can actually install the glass panel (ie. Make sure the tile is level where the panel is going).

Our bathroom was about 5sqm. Levelling the floor + Tiling walls and the floor was c.$2000

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Don't forget the sparky & plumber for disconnections.

4. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Floor will need to be levelled before waterproofing.
    Don’t forget to add shower a shower niche when your doing your walls. Also, a recess for a shaving cabinet is a good way to add storage, instead of just a mirror over the vanity.

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice