Bathroom reno Brisbane post-war original

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by martini, 9th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. martini

martini Well-Known Member

Hello

Looking for some sage advice on a bathroom reno in the 4170 post code.
    It's an IP I bought a few years ago in original condition. 600sqm at $600k. Have done some restumping, paint, and polished floor boards.

The bathroom has some significant leaks in the shower (terazzo base) so the options are:
    1. quick patch job (<$1000)
    2. cheap reno job ($8k-10k)
    3. mid priced reno job ($18k-20k)
    4. high priced reno job ($27k)

The first quote I have received is for option 4 - what I think is a high cost reno @$27k (bathroom + separate toilet including replacement piping, electrics, asbestos wall removal & replacement; floor to ceiling tiles, wall hung vanity with back lit mirror etc - weirdly almost $8k of it is for the toilet room).

In the long term, the house may become a PPoR or remain in IP. There are two broad upgrade paths for the house: complete reno inc kitchen and build deck, and remains a 3 bed 1 bath; or convert existing house to be 4 bed and 2 bath, and build a 2-storey pavilion extension off the back with a new living/kitchen area upstairs + ? downstairs (block slopes to rear). (e.g. 22 Newington Street, Tarragindi, Qld 4121)
    In either case, bathroom stays where it is in this part of the structure.

There's a lot of redevelopment in the area (usually splitters), but hasn't quite hit my street. Recent sale on the street over $1M for a fully reno-ed original house, hamptons style. New builds sell at $1.2M+ on 405sqm.

Hopefully the bathroom will funded by an equity withdrawal. The original kitchen will remain for a few years.

My questions are:
    A. Any guidance on option 2 vs 3 vs 4 with respect to similar properties in inner-middle ring? What works best, what to consider in short term (rental return) and long term (whether IP or PPoR)?
    B. Any great examples of post war bathroom renos in Bne?
    C. Has anyone seen an existing terrazzo floor be kept and work well?

Thanks in advance

2. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

If it’s going to be a PPOR, then option 4 (loose the backlit mirror tho).

If it will remain an IP for the next 5+ years, then Option 3.

Sounds like anything less wouldn’t match the area it is in. Also I’m a big believer in doing something right the first time, and a cheap reno job risks needing to be redone sooner than a full rebuild.

martini likes this.
  3. martini

Thank you for the reply housechopper2

4. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Well-Known Member

5. martini

@Art Vandelay - wow. That looks amazing. I love the floor tiles in particular. I see you've done a few IP renos before - any advice on the cost/approach from my OP?

The big question now is - spacious bathroom without bath, or include a bath? (Current layout includes both bath and separate shower). I don't care if a house had a bath or not, but renters might?

Art Vandelay likes this.
  6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd try to get a bath into a house. Your postcode indicates an area of families (generalisation I know...) but any time we've ever asked a real estate agent if we should remove the bath, it has always been "put a bath in if you can".

We have just added a bath to two houses that didn't have them. We'd lost more than one potential tenant over the years due to not having baths in these houses (Coorparoo).

Bunbury, Sackie and martini like this.
  7. martini

Thanks Wylie. I thought that would be the case.

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If you can put in even a smallish bath and separate shower, that would be ideal. We now have separate shower and bath but for years while kids were young, we had shower over bath. I hated it. But better to have a shower over bath than no bath.

martini likes this.
  9. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Well-Known Member

If you can squeeze it in, a bath + shower would be ideal for a family rental. However if I couldn't fit both I'd prefer a big standalone shower rather than a shower over bath. I'd include a hand held shower head to make it easier for kids/pets etc, but having rented places with shower over baths before I hated them. It will also reduce the appeal to anyone that is older or has mobility issues ie risk of falling over when getting into and out of the shower.

10. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just leave it as it is,if it's going to be a renter for a while..
    Plus there is a massive about of re-development in that small area,and depending on the high rise impact on property values ..
    When you look at the prices for vacant land ,and the 3 level houses being built in Pring st Prior some of those houses would run above 2 mill ..

Lot 3, 77 Pring, Tarragindi, Qld 4121

Last edited: 24th Sep, 2019