bathroom floor not level need HELP!

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Elives, 23rd Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I'm currently doing a bathroom renovation on my Queenslander, I've already laid tile underlay on the floor of the bathroom and it's almost at the point of waterproofing, i was wondering if anyone knew the best way of leveling the floor before laying the mortar bed.

as you can see from the photo below the laser line (red) theres about 50mm difference from one corner to the other. at first i thought the mortar bed could be used to make the floor level but it would mean at the right corner it'd be about 100mm of mortar and wasn't sure if that'd be ok or not or if i should try and get it level now with non shrink grout or concrete and then water proof and then get tiler to do his bed.

upload_2017-6-23_20-0-6.png

any input would be greatly appreciated

Cheers, Elives

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Elives - bathroom floors aren't meant to be level.

Move your floor waste to the low point of the floor. :confused:

Pumpkin and Phase2 like this.
  3. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Why didn't you level the floor framing before putting down the tile underlay?

I would take up to the tile underlay and level it with battens - chippy can plane the battens to suit. You'll probably need compressed sheeting or particleboard under the underlay as it can't span over the battens.

Levelling it up to 100mm with screed will be too heavy for your floor framing and cause differential movement in your stumps over time, causing cracking in your bathroom.

DaveM, Elives and WestOz like this.
  4. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

nah it works better where it is, cos on the left hand side closest to door you'll have basin and then toilet and then shower. so the walk in to the shower will be on the right hand side.

Last edited: 23rd Jun, 2017
  5. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

What VB said

Elives likes this.
  6. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

because i'm an idiot haha no i originally had spoken to a friend who said the mortar bed will be fine but then i spoke to a builder who said the same it should have been done prior to underlay going down. but as it's already down i'm just trying to get ideas of how to best level it.

my friend whos a tiler said use the mortar bed

and the builder i spoke to said use concrete to get level and then just have your normal 40-50mm mortar bed

7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Ooops :confused:

Did no one check it first ?
    (For high spots, or the door not give it away ? )

Am afraid you are going to have to live with it, or start from scratch :oops:

8. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Level aside, is that the only waste?
    Guessing its for the shower, where's the floor drain (+ basin, perhaps around the corner) ?

9. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

it'd only be that one 1mx1m square that would be at 100mm of screed do you really think that would be to heavy?

10. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Another issue - why is your floor framing 50mm out of level over such a short distance? There could be a problem with your footings?

I wouldn't start your bathroom until you address your footings.

DaveM likes this.
  11. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

upload_2017-6-23_20-33-22.png

theres no floor waste drain on this bathroom

12. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

thats how they used to get fall for the shower. i asked the builder he said it was common for Queenslanders

the 1mx1m would have been the shower area there wouldn't have been a bed

13. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

To save ripping it up etc, Perhaps, relocate the shower waste to the opposite corner, don't from a step, use a raised glass screen, so all water runs to it

14. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

i think it's to late for that the shower mixer / rain head is already in place and sheeted. also the design works best this way as well as the bathroom door is on the right then basin on left then toilet on left then shower on left allowing the shower door to be on right if that makes sense?

15. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Move the door and work with the existing fall. If you build up the floor where it's already low, the door will need to be cut down 100 mm too, you'll have a step at the doorway as well.

16. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

which door are you referring to? the bathroom door will only have the normal step up of 40-50mm. the low part of the bathroom is only in the right hand corner and it's about 1mx1m

17. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

This.

18. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

read above..

19. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Does the house need rsetumping or levelling (before continuing with the bathroom reno)?

20. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

No stumps are fine. the floor joist was cut in that 1 corner for the original fall. i asked a builder about who does kitchen/bathroom renos he said it's common for them to be like that i thought it was weird.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.