Bathroom floor - any cheaper solution

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by S0805, 18th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

Need some help sorting out an issue at one our property please. We had vanity replaced and it seems the original vanity was custom size hence created gap between new vanity floor and allocated space for old vanity. Attached photos shows that as new vanity has gone in there is some gap between bathroom floor tiles and vanity (exposed floorboard)

Old vanity also had tiles connected on the one side with bath. That gap is not much worry ( I guess) compare to gap at front. I prefer not to retile the entire bathroom as that will be more costly. I am more concerned about water sipping through exposed floorboards and causing damage.

Is there any creative way you can think of fixing this issue.

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Get a kitchen cupboard which is 600mm deep not a 450mm vanity.

Propertunity likes this.
  3. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

ok, no idea what you mean sorry....can you pls explain...

4. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

If you’ve still got it, I’d put the original vanity back in and replace the doors, tapware and bench top /sink.

wylie likes this.
  5. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

I'll check if its still available....but my understanding was new bench top will not fill on original vanity due to size. is there any waterproof cement sheet or something available that can fill that gap...

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It's probably something you should have thought about before finishing putting the cabinet in place. Is the bottom of the new cabinet sealed - any water could destroy this cabinet pretty quickly if it isn't

I'd take it back out and put in some waterproof gyprock under and around and silicone seal to where it joins the tiles

7. Westminster

Alternatively pull the vanity forward and build a 200mm ledge behind it

Propertunity likes this.
  8. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

I agree i should have planned it better but rely on someone's advise and unfortunately it didn't work out.

I am not sure what you mean by if bottom is sealed or not...vanity unit is is not hollow from inside if that is what you are asking....or are you suggesting right underneath vanity unit area it should be water proofed and boundary should be sealed?

9. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

sorry, I am not much handy....what do you mean by ledge is it like wooden rod that pushes the vanity further and keep it balanced...i am not sure if the tap connection can be extended by 200mm if unit itself is brought forward? if it can its good idea as space at back of vanity is not much used anyway?

10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

@Westminster beat me to it. I'd pack it out with something wide enough to push the vanity forward and cover any gaps.

Whoever installed that could have packed out the wall. Now the plumbing is installed, you are up for more cost to fix it.

The bathroom looks like it might need to be totally replaced in a few years. I would have left the old vanity as this new one has created a different problem to just having an old vanity.

You could add a piece of dressed timber to fill in the gap where the wall tiles no longer meet the vanity but the bath side is more tricky with nothing to easily attach any timber infill piece to. You'd need AC sheeting to fill in the missing floor tiles but that will look terrible anyway.

To be honest, I'd remove this, keep it for another place or sell it, and either install the old one or use this, but remove it and get a handyman to build the wall out behind it so you don't have the gaps.

Either way, it will be costly to fix, or at lease costly in time if you are DIY.

11. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

thanks for that. Bringing it forward seems quite logical. If I put a timber (or wooden rod) not sure if you call call it ledge at back and have it fitted in a way that vanity at front will come in line with tiles and cover the other side of bath so no visual eyesore. Now the other side of vanity with bath cover it with plasterboard.

another idea i thought based on feedback so far, if i put waterproof plasterboard underneath vanity, bring vanity forward like above and and cover the other side of vanity with bath using plasterboard. At least in that case i know underneath all is waterproof....

I am not handy but thinking all these crazy options to have this repaired. Are any of the above possible?

12. wylie

I would not use any sort of plasterboard on the floor in a bathroom. Floor needs AC sheeting (compressed fibro).

Even on a waterproofed and properly tiled floor, those cheap vanities will end up probably having "wet feet" when tenants drip water on the floor and leave the water to sit. The chipboard under the glossy layer will soak any water up, but at least you could paint it black to make it "disappear" or add a new kick board (or layer of laminate glued to the kickboard) if that happens to get you through until you do the whole bathroom one day.

I'd try to silicone (clear or white) the bottom edge to try to stop water getting into the new cabinet.

I'm not trying to be critical, but this is going to look like a cheap "this will do for a while" fix because the tiles are very dated. We've done this and right now, we have a bathroom that we want to keep for another six months or so and we will be doing a pretty rough patch job to get us through until we make some bigger decisions on this particular house.

13. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

thanks. I will need to redo the bathroom i understand that. however it is still 12 months away from our plans. Trying to make some arrangements in a way that we can have that time.

So it sound like I've 2 options....

1) if I tile the (gap part) in photo and silicone around it to have it protected as much as possible. ignore the eyesore on the both side of vanity.
    2) Retile (closest looking tiles) the bathroom, but don't touch the bath or shower but just focus on walking way and shower area as that's where the tiles are.
    3) bring the vanity forward in line with existing tiles, silicon around the vanity as much as possible to protect it. Build the ledge at back of vanity to support bringing it forward, ignore the eyesore on the side of vanity and bathtub....

does that looks right @wylie ....

14. wylie

If you bring it forward, you will not see any gaps on either bath or wall side or on the floor.

You just have to fix it to a new built out wall at the back. You could dodgy that up too as nobody will see it. A good handyman could do this, and then he could add a shelf that covers the gap and the edge sits on the back edge of the vanity, siliconed if necessary to stop water getting down the back.

15. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

given the new one is not wide enough...i think gap on the side of bathtub will be still visible...but i can ignore that

I didn't understand this sorry. so you are suggesting build a parallel shelf (similar height to vanity at back) and silicon the joint (between shelf & vanity) at the top to make it look nicer. In that case do you think of water penetrating through that joint is much higher...i mean i assume water will splash more on the bowl side of the unit especially where this joint could be....

16. wylie

Found some things on google that could help you understand what I'm trying to convey.

filling in gap behind vanity and wall

I cannot find anything to show what I mean but if you can move the whole unit forward enough to minimise the gap at the front, it will leave a gap at the back. You need something to stop the water falling down the back, especially as your new vanity has a flat back and wet hands using the tap will mean water sitting on the flat area with nothing to stop it flowing down the back. This would normally be tiled and siliconed to the wall.

It sounds like you will be using a handyman anyway, so I think you should either put the photos up on something like HiPages and get some quotes, or use a handyman who will know what to do to fix this up to get you through to a time when you start again.

If you have the original cupboard, I'd put it back, and put a new top on it, and add a vessel style basin.

17. wylie

I'm curious to know who installed this vanity for you? Did he offer any solutions or discuss with you the problems with it before installing it and fitting off the plumbing?

Westminster likes this.
  18. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

If it’s just a year away from a reno, I would just paint the exposed floor and wall with black acrylic paint. Or some other colour that won't stand out.

19. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

thanks @wylie ....that video helps. main chanllenge i find between that video and scenatir here is that i also have gap on the top portion of vanity not just on side but i understand what you are trying to say. I will see if I've original cupboard left but don't think it can have new vanity top fit to it...due to size.

I had a plumber install this for me...he suggested an approach...which i don't fully understand but something along the line of "we can get a piece of cement sheet which is water proof as well as seal it once its installed".....not sure if that helps....

@Joynz...thanks for painting tip....

20. Westminster

That cement sheet is one of the items I suggested. There is a specific sheeting made for bathroom floors and you can use it on the walls too. The wall one I've used is called Aquacheck but not sure if it's the same name for the floor. Anyway it can be cut and fill in the gaps and then sealed.

If this is a stop gap 12mth vanity and you don't mind looking at it then it will be fine.