Bathroom ceiling mould

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by mikey7, 2nd Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

One of my properties has just come back with an inspection report.

In the bathroom, there is mould on the ceiling. The report states "the tenant advises the mould is getting worse". This is the first I've heard of the mould.

The bathroom doesn't have an extraction fan. I have requested a quote for one to be installed asap.

* In terms of cleaning the mould off the ceiling - am I required to get someone in to clean it? The PM hasn't said that I do, its just an 'item for consideration'. Realistically.. it needs to be cleaned asap for health reasons.

Whenever I rented places, I always cleaned things like that, I never asked the LL to do it.
    A product like 'exit mould' works wonders, and is fairly easy (provided you have a small ladder).

Mike

paulF likes this.
  2. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

1. Fix the problem (install fan, fix upstairs plumbing, etc)
    2. Clean with exit mould or sugar soap
    3. Repaint with mould-resistant paint

Blueskies likes this.
  3. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Same here but my bathroom has a ceiling fan and a skylight too... I think the last storm leaked some water in trough the skylight which has been fixed but haven't fixed the ceiling yet.
    @chylld , thanks for the tips. Might ask the tenant to clean the mould and see how that goes.

4. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

I envisaged steps 2 and 3 to be done by a tradie, would only take an hour or so...

paulF likes this.
  5. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Cool, thanks. I'm waiting on a quote to install fan. No upstairs or plumbing issues, just poor ventilation if they don't open the window whilst showing.

I'm hoping to avoid points 2 and 3 at this point - if it can be cleaned and a fan installed, hopefully it won't come back.

Waiting on PM's response for quotes and whether tenant is happy to clean the ceiling.

6. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

Oil of clove and water will kill the mould spores and should prevent them from coming back. Just spray on and wipe off. I think it is a teaspoon per litre of water. Worked a treat in a place we were renting a few years back.

mikey7 and wylie like this.
  7. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Join the extractor switch to the light switch so you can be sure it is used. Ensure there is a security screen or bars on the window so it can safely be left open without compromising security.

You really don't want to instruct your tenant to climb ladders to clean the ceiling. If tenant falls you can be held liable.
    Marg

Danny370z, paulF, Nattl3s and 4 others like this.
  8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Use vinegar and the 'three buckets' method as recommended by Choice.

Perthguy likes this.
  9. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Yes definately use vinegar. Exit mould and similar don't kill the mould. The mould will come back very quickly.

Our painter washed down the ensuite ceiling which had really bad mould with vinegar before panting and it hasn't come back after two years now.

10. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

You're definitely on the right track!

If the tenants have a window they can open securely (great point by Marg above) and an exhaust fan, they have very little excuse for recurring mould. The general consensus is that if you provide those two things, the bathroom is adequately ventilated and the mould is their problem.

Head on over with the clove oil (I've seen the discussion a million times, clove oil seems to come out on top) to clean it up around the time you get the exhaust fan installed, then hope it doesn't come back! If it does and the tenants take issue with it then you will want to consider professional mould solutions for liabilities sake.

11. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

As suggested by @Marg4000 make sure the fan is connected to the light switch. No ones turns it on in winter which is were you get mould.

New Town likes this.
  12. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Yep, thanks. Made that very clear to the sparkie. Due to get done this week..
    The PM also confirmed the tenant is responsible for cleaning the ceiling. I've offered to buy the product and a cleaning tool on a pole to ensure they don't get injured.

Last edited: 12th Aug, 2017
  13. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Just to be the devils advocate, I can't stand having the fan wired to the light. It's annoying to have to listen to it whenever you use the bathroom and particularly disturbing at night time. I don't love the idea of forcing that incessant buzzing on tenants anytime that they want light.
    Once the tenant has the opportunity to adequately ventilate the room, mould is generally their responsibility regardless. Most people will just turn the fan and light off as soon as they've showered and dried anyway if they aren't educated, leaving the room wet when it most needs to be ventilated.

That being said, my opinion seems to be in the minority, so I usually just bring it up as food for thought before happily going ahead with whichever option my clients prefer.

Also, if the tenant isn't voluntarily happy to clean the mould and has concerns for their health (everyone makes out like mould is anthrax these days) be aware that they are not responsible for cleaning the existing mould, particularly as you've acknowledged that there was an issue with ventilation.
    It's not very likely, but cheeky tenants could make all sorts of claims in the future- e.g. The existing mould wasn't treated properly and therefore despite the now adequate ventilation the spores are in the paint and it keeps coming back, causing them health problems etc. etc. (this is about the time you find out they have chronic asthma).

Perthguy likes this.
  14. evalord

evalord Well-Known Member

Reviving old post, I had bathroom mould on ceiling about 50cm x 50cm area, black, very visible when I moved in.

Bought a bottle of generic mould cleaner spray from woollies, took a total of 10mins, been a year now, never had mould growing back since.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  15. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I agree. There are issues with not having the fan on a separate switch.

1) I often use the bathroom without switching on the light (i.e. in the day time). I don't want the light on during the day when I am having a shower but I do use the fan.

2) I often use the bathroom with the light on but fan off (i.e. not having a shower) and do not want the fan on during that time.

3) I leave the fan running for some time after a shower to dry the room. I would be less likely to do that if the light was on at the same time.

16. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Mould makes me pretty ill (dust and mould cause breathing difficulties) and even though a house is ventilated well mould can still be a problem. Some older houses I have lived in seem to have recurrent issues though probably due to lack of water proofing/ poor construction in bathrooms despite ventilation and cleaning obsessively. A heater in the bathroom might help too.

17. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

I think it's worth getting a trades person to fix the mould for the tenant. It's a relatively cheap fix and will likely reduce risk of recurrence in the future. I would be looking at seeing if the bathroom needs updating too and mould resistant paint.

18. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Most people make mistake of using bleach to kill mould. All it does is make it invisible.
    Why You Should Never Use Bleach To Clean Mould

You need to use something that removes it AND ensure the surafec is dry. Wrong paints may be cause ie a porous surface.Moisture etc.

19. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Use tea tree oil . Put 2 teaspoon in a spray bottle with 2 cups of water spray on mould. If the mould is bad and you want to remove the stain. from the mould, It comes of better if you wipe it of about 10 minutes after spraying, but if it is light it will fade. If it comes back after a few weeks or month just give it a quick spray it only takes seconds. Bleach and sugar soap might remove it from the surface but it wont kill the roots.

20. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The paint or surface prob is cultivating spores.