Bank staffs who are new in their job

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by jins13, 20th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

I too had a call from NAB today. Asking if everything was okay. Not much past puberty I guess. Little bugger offered a me a discount on my rate.

Maybe we approached it differently?

legallyblonde and Perthguy like this.
  2. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Maybe your guy was abit more experienced.

3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

That's the kind of phone call you want! :)

kierank likes this.
  4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

You got a call offering you a discount on your rate?

Geez, Peez, maybe my bad-mouthing NAB to everyone on PC earlier this year has made them rethink their customer service.

For the record, we are sitting at 68% lvr and cant get finance at all any more.

MaddyG likes this.
  5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I've had people from NAB calling me too! Damn, I should have asked for a discount rather than just asking me to stop sending me useless blank statements and instead send me statements of my home loan.

And in other news... I have my own bank asking me to move all my borrowings to the bank.... not a chance. I keep being told I don't service anyway... I can't even pull equity out.

And now, I am going through pains getting rid of my redraw (reducing my limit on the ppor). It's not a fast process at this institution. .. Why can't it be instant or same day at least!!!!
    And... when I ask staff to put something in writing to confirm that its two to sign, and the procedure to decrease the loan limit, the bank staff won't do that.
    Won't give me anything in writing. So frustrating. They "arent allowed".
    :(

Since there's a thread, I had to vent.....

Last edited: 20th Dec, 2016
  6. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Every time I get one of those calls I stop them and ask - what can you do about my rate? Can you guarantee you can reduce my rate?

Usually it's no, but about 18 months ago, I had a interest only period (with only 6 months) extended to 10 years.

Perthguy, Bayview and Gockie like this.
  7. r3ckless

r3ckless Well-Known Member

unfortunately too many brainless souls in the bank!

reducing redraw can be done in a day but usual turnaround time is say 3-5business days, same as decreasing (i'm guessing) vloc limit?

fill in the Contract of Authority form. Thats you as borrowers confirming this change...

8. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

lol....

I do not get these cold calls, but I do get the staff try and sell something at the end of many calls, when they start with the loans hard sell thing, I just tell them straight :)

I have had one offer me a much better rate a few weeks ago, I said ok.....anyway, cutting a long story short, not honored, they all deny the call and say they will get the person who made the offer to call back, which they never do (nor will) and in between, got a rate increase....ha ha useless.

re offset and fixing, each lender is different, NAB will try and do a full credit check if you want to do part fixed, part variable, yes, lose offset, lose discounts....

Perthguy likes this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

OMG banks in Australia have nothing over banks in USA, stuff ups you have no idea.

Wells Fargo cancelled my 3 bank accounts because they had not seen my ID personally, I had not come into their bank.... but I did and they confirmed this.

It took another 2 months just to find someone who could reverse this, however they could not, so I had to open new banks accounts and then on top after closing the accounts they mailed cheques to Australia, what would I do with these?

If you need to open a bank account in US be prepared to spend half the day in the bank, though they do provide red carpet service, lollies/candy, but I just wish they could operate as well as the Australian Banks.

To think these guys went to the moon....nah I don't believe it:p

10. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I like playing with their minds. When they say "I'd like to show you a way to pay off your home loan sooner", I reply, acting puzzled, "Why would I want to do that?"
    If they persist with "So you can pay down your debt/s", I respond "Well if anything, I'd like to have more debt". Most newbies aren't trained for those kind of responses, which BTW are a true reflection of my thinking about (good) debt.

Pentanol, Biz and Perthguy like this.
  11. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Bank branch keeps telling me I will get a call from their Private Banking representative.

I always ask what they think they are going to do for me?

Phone seems to be broken, as it doesn't ring.

datto and dabbler like this.
  12. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

Well a month after this phone call I checked my accounts and no changes have been applied to my accounts. I had the reps email address after our conversation so shot off a hey what's going on no reply.

Currently discussing with their call centre what is happening. They have notations on file about the discussion but nothing that indicates a reduction in interest rate!

This will be interesting.

13. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

It's quite interesting how they have things "not on file". When I started my new job in 2014 I called NAB and refinanced and asked for mortgage insurance, I never considered it before but being made redundant shook me a bit.

I know I asked because it was important to me and the dude said it was organised.

When I got sick I called to double check and of course they had no record of it and it was my fault for not checking the docs I signed.

Yes I get that you should read the docs and all but in all honesty, most people simply don't understand them, I think I have an understanding now I have taken the time to educate myself but back then I just signed assuming what I had been told but a NAB representative was true and correct.

Interestingly enough they couldn't check with the employee as he had left the company.

Moot point now because I no longer have my mortgage with NAB (And DAMN did they put the hard word on me when I was transferring out, offering me all the sweeties if I stayed obviously my reply to them was "If I wasn't worth it as a loyal customer, why am I worth it when I am going to leave?")

legallyblonde likes this.
  14. Skyegirl

Skyegirl Well-Known Member

I feel your frustration. Have you eventually found a lender?

15. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Dan, I found this same attitude with my electricity provider. When I churned to Red Energy, E <Cough!> A <Cough!> called me up for the first time in 25 years and, after telling me how they "...are in constant contact with their customers...", offered me a 25% discount, I actually felt offended.

Maybe they should have just provided a 2% discount each quarter, for more than 2 decades of loyalty, without ever having the account in arrears.

Everybody knows it's so much easier and cheaper to keep an existing customer, than add a new one.

But the poor experience just left me with a feeling that I should have recommended that they GFY.

And that in no way means a stock tip on buying Godfreys (ASX Code: GFY)....

(And this was a business electricity account...)

dabbler likes this.
  16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Every time a bank calls me which is quite often (except 2 banks which we deal directly with at times) I tell them straight away that I deal with a team of brokers who find the best options for my situation and if they mention your bank to me then you will hear from me. Thank you for your call and have a nice day.

If they continue to push after I have said that it means they disrespect my wishes and my time and I will be more abrupt and hang up within 5 seconds.

Perthguy likes this.
  17. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

The other day, someone from Vodafone had a crabby attitude which they felt like I needed them, so I've told them they have 30 seconds to impress me because they are not in a position to have a high and mighty attitude. I know it's difficult for staff members to meet their KPIs.

18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Yeah I guess they have a job to do and meet targets etc. As long as they respect my wishes and when I say no thanks they stop pushing. Any more push after that and for me it's fair game to end the call abruptly. They don't have a right to our time over the phone and it's at our discretion to decide after how long we wish to politely end the phone call.

19. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I'm the same with people who cold call me on the phone or who ring my doorbell (which happens all the time since I work from home).

I politely say "I'm not interested thanks", but if they try and give me the hard sell at that point, they typically get yelled at for wasting my time. You've already interrupted me - don't make it worse by refusing to listen when I say no.

I also have no time for financial institutions who call me and then before they talk to me, insist that I validate my identity. I ask them to validate theirs first. Most are smart enough now to direct me to call the bank's main number, but I've had some doozies where they simply couldn't understand why I refused to prove who I was until they proved who they were - since they were the people who called me, not the other way around.

20. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Bank staff love bashing brokers and vice versa. Trouble is most of them have no idea of the lengths and breadths we go to build a relationship that converts to an application and then an approval. They are used to people just lobbing up in front of them and it s areal lazy practice to bash brokers. They have targets to meet and competition is immense ATM.

This happens more than people realise. I always tell people to call bank and ensure offset accounts are linked.

Fixed loans generally speaking are not able to be offset so it is auto delinked. There are some exceptions though.

Perthguy likes this.