VIC Ballarat Tip: The Capital of Western Victoria

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Ko Ko Naing, 22nd Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. kingstreet75

kingstreet75 Well-Known Member

If housing were 0 to 10 in terms of quality and price, it's sort of a 6 to 8 range of house.
    Depends on the type of property. Can be pretty hilly. If your property is designed for older people and families I think it's good. If it's for younger professionals perhaps a little far from the CBD.

2. Truly Exotic

Truly Exotic Well-Known Member

im a big fan of golden point, as said, its a bit hilly, but the blocks are decent size for the price
    it hasnt shot up like redan/eureka, so i think its a matter of time

Matyd likes this.
  3. geeza

geeza Well-Known Member

Amazing and insightful thread. Great things happening in Ballarat by the sound of things

4. geeza

geeza Well-Known Member

Thoughts on this area in wendouree west, willow grove, banksia grove and bronia rd? Properties here around 20-40k cheaper than the east side this thread has mentioned. Worth the price difference? I know the flower names seem to be much worse.

Attached Files:

Matyd likes this.
  5. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

This post from @Ko Ko Naing is helpful:

Matyd likes this.
  6. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

Absolutely not worth the discount - a walk down the streets you mentioned vs those around Ballarat Grammar will confirm this.

Matyd likes this.
  7. Ko Ko Naing

Ko Ko Naing Well-Known Member

@geeza Not really worth it, neither as owner occupier nor as investment. Spend some time around those streets in person. You will feel it. I'd rather pay a bit more to be in a nicer part of Wendouree. Wendouree itself has its own reputation already. You don't want to be in the badder part of Wendouree.

8. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I agree, its pretty rough, tenant selection/maintenance is going to be the hardest part of the IP, the PMs in Ballarat generally are decent, some may not even manage that area,

however, being next to the "better" part of wendouree, it should clean up one day! only problem is there is gazillion acres of land in the outer areas of ballarat

9. kingstreet75

Anything close to a station is good. Land like that is in short supply. Near the lake too.

10. kingstreet75

Will new laws have an impact on Ballarat fringe homes? I have a question guys. Some areas on the fringe of the cities in Ballarat and Ararat / Colac are near patches of bush. On the vendor statement it has a sentence " Is this property classed as being in a bushfire zone?" If there is an X in this box, what is the upshot for insurance or other implications? These places are not IN the bush but sort of over the road from a bit of scrub.

11. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Insurance companies do not necessarily use the council bushfire zones,

Or they might use less or more zones for whatever reason,

Very important to get a quote without assuming,
    Some insurance companies arent even acceptinf new policies at the moment

kingstreet75 likes this.
  12. Zenny

Zenny New Member

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  13. Ko Ko Naing

Ko Ko Naing Well-Known Member

Not surprisingly, anything in the green zone that I highlighted in the map will sell well, as a lot of agents tend to use proximity to the lake as the main selling point. More value for your money can be found in the yellow zone.

But keep in mind that owner occupiers are the ones that push the prices up and owner occupiers love the lake. Well, who doesn't love the lake? :)

MikeyBallarat, Toon and George Smiley like this.
  14. Zenny

Zenny New Member

Is it worth it though? Such a big price difference compared to the other part of Wendouree.

geeza likes this.
  15. SharonE123

SharonE123 Member

Re the 'Grammar area' of Wendouree, our neighbours are selling their home in Lambert St - a good area close to everything Wendouree has to offer I.e Howitt St shopping precinct, Grammar, the lake etc. They have not listed with an agent yet but if anyone is interested, let me know and I will pass on their contact details.They are happy to sell privately.

Address is 5 Lambert St, Wendouree.
    4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, large kitchen, dining, loungeroom complete with outdoor entertaining area and a sitting room. There is backyard access for a boat or trailer and an enclosed garage. It is a good, quality home!

Cheers,
    Sharon

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  16. househuntn

househuntn Well-Known Member

It's in the more desirable area - close to lake and Ballarat Grammar. Some subdivisions going on. They sell quickly compared to north/west Wendouree. I was gutted when I missed out on 4 Iris Avenue - that sold within a few days of listing.

17. Ravi Sharma

Ravi Sharma Member

Thank you to everyone on this thread that has contributed so far, it's been super helpful!
    I was initially looking at Ballarat East but seems like a shortage of supply of good stock and now looking at Sebastopol.
    Would love to know thoughts on areas to avoid as well as minimum guidelines for subdivision. I'm looking at older homes on blocks of 800m+ - would that be sufficient for a proper subdivision?
    Any help would be amazing! Thanks guys
    Regards,
    Ravi

18. Airet

Airet Member

Hey guys,
    Thanks for starting this awesome thread it's really helping people a lot :)
    Needed help, as I am buying an off-market IP(old government house) in Ballarat east with walking distance of CBD and black hill lookouts/walking trails straight at the backyard with a land size of around 596sqm.
    The only issue is my property inspector says it's been badly contaminated with meth(possibly being used as math lab), asbestos and shows visible moulds at the bathroom as well. I'm, ok with a moderate amount of reno (as this being my first project) but not to sure about meth contamination as some articles say that house needs to be demolished and that too needs to be done by authorized experts which increases costs exponentially.
    Though the property is dirt cheap at just under 200k which looks ok given the current market conditions and in comparisons to other blocks on sale in the market, but what worries me is the costs of renovations or if the possible cost of bulldozing.
    Is it ok to pay such prices considering the great location or is it a value trap?
    If you guys can help with that, I would be really thankful.
    Cheers
    Airet

19. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Ballarat east is pretty wide, and whats your definition of walking distance

596sqm, sub 200k , seems a excellent price depending how much damage the meth lab did and the legal requirements to get back to normal

20. Airet

Airet Member

Thanks for the reply!
    It's next to humffray street n, there are just some visible strains on the ceiling and walls. Are there any legal requirements as well?
    Thanks Again!