VIC backyard facing main road - good/bad

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by S0805, 8th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

Hi All,

After some opinions here please.

We are looking at our next ppor and the one we've come across has backyard (deck) facing main road (70-80 km zone). Road is not next to the back fence as there is council tree reserve area hence distance between fence and road is about 15-20 m. nonetheless we can hear the car zooming on with that speed quite easily.

I can think of way to reduce noise like trees or installing cafe style blinds surrounding deck, increase the height of fence but not sure how effective that would be. this property will be our stepping stone to invest further hence important for capital growth to release equity. I know that buying on main road is big no-no especially for how about backyard facing main road. any suggestions/feedback from
    your exp pls...

Only backyard (deck) and family area facing the road. Noise is much less for family area given its inside but not deck

cheers

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

If its noisy now then it is only going to get worse. And it's not just the noise, traffic fumes are not pleasant either. Even at the back, you have most of the disadvantages of a busy road.

Reckon I would give it a miss.
    Marg

Propertunity and MTR like this.
  3. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

I'd give it a miss personally.

It will drive you nuts while you're living there - and you may have a hard time selling it later.

Cheers

Jamie

Propertunity and Marg4000 like this.
  4. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Marg4000 likes this.
  5. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

I used to have a PPOR exactly in this position. Cafe blinds and fencing will do nothing for noise. The noise drove me nuts originally.. then I got double-glazing in the whole house.

Anyway, noise you can get used to, but roads also carry a lot of dust. Be prepared for a lot of back dust on everything. We moved, and I wouldn't buy that sort of location again.

Marg4000 likes this.
  6. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

Thanks all. Just to reconfirm distance between back fence and road about 15-20 m still not enough you guys reckon? also, in this distance there are big trees.... Not forcing an opinion but thinking this has ticked all boxes for us except this one....

7. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Keep looking... lots of homes are not near main roads. For long term peace and happiness... :)

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Noice and dirt/dust would eventually get to me, dont do it. Also it will impact on resale

9. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

It's a fail. Move on.

Jamie Moore likes this.
  10. zed_kid

zed_kid Well-Known Member

If it’s an issue for you now it’ll be an issue for the next perspective buyer when you try to sell. It might not be a bargain, just an inferior product going for less.

There was a great thread on here or somersoft (can’t remember) about not bargain hunting but actually buying over the suburb median for a superior product.

11. Marg4000

Double negative.

Sounds as if allowance has been made for future road widening....
    Marg

S0805 likes this.
  12. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

Many thanks everyone. Decided to give this a skip....almost gave in to frustration. Lucky i asked for help here.....

Also, through council i found out that across the road (within 3-4 km) about 169 houses are being built similar configuration to what i am looking for.

Gockie likes this.
  13. zed_kid

zed_kid Well-Known Member

There you go, sometimes it pays to take it easy, don’t let FOMO control your decision making.

I’m in the same boat, been looking for a PPOR for at least 6 months now, frustration and FOMO definitely setting in. :)

korando1234 likes this.
  14. Marg4000

Maybe you can find a similar property there, well away from main roads.
    Marg