Backdating from depreciation schedule for tax return

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by dext1234, 12th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BMT Tax Depreciation

BMT Tax Depreciation Chris Business Member

My golden rule regarding residential properties and building age is:

If a property was constructed after 1987, investigate a depreciation schedule. If a property was built before 1987 and has had substantial improvements, whether by you or a previous owner, investigate a depreciation schedule. Any QS should be able to give you a preliminary estimate.

In some cases, the deductions are confined to the current owner's renovation costs and there can still be a benefit. On one such occasion, a client engaged us and, mid-engagement, the accountant told her not to worry and that she would just do it herself. The client was happy for me to talk to the accountant, so I phoned her with our preliminary results.

The accountant's response? "Oh. That's ... not what I have in my worksheet. Carry on!"

Everyone was happy.

inertia likes this.
  2. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I think I may have seen you comment similar previously, which probably made me less worried about getting it done. The houses are definitely pre-1987, and have had virtually zero work done on them :(

Is it a good idea to get a depreciation schedule to establish a baseline before doing any reno/maintenance work?

Cheers.
    Inertia.

3. BMT Tax Depreciation

BMT Tax Depreciation Chris Business Member

Probably not. If you can't claim depreciation on it, you can't claim scrapping deductions for it as part of a renovation, if that's what you're asking. If it's for CGT purposes, a depreciation schedule is rarely the most cost-effective way to do this.

Depreciation-wise, you say they've had virtually zero work done to them, you may as well just wait until after a renovation. If you want to message me the addresses, I can take a look at any pics online, just to give you a more informed opinion.

inertia likes this.