Australian Spending like its stuck in 2006

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 10th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

I'm in Shanghai as I write this. Shops are packed, factories I visited are pumping out more product than ever, as I travel by train I can see dozens of cranes everywhere. Doesn't look any slower than it did 2 years ago when I was last here or 5 years ago before that to me but I did notice a few more empty shops in the malls and the jewellery stores didn't seem as busy as last time.

Just my 2 cents.

2. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Addicted to PC? :eek::D

3. RedMarty

RedMarty Well-Known Member

I prefer to listen to the Reserve Bank and their ramblings than those who predict other possibilities. There IS a reason why our banks (the top 4 ) and reserve bank do so well and why they are regarded in the top 100 in the world.

4. barnes

barnes Well-Known Member

Shanghai is not the whole China. I'm now working on some orders from China, companies that I deal with are fighting for my order of a few grand. It was all a lot different just 3 years ago, when I considered the same action.

5. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I dunno.
    If everyone is crapping their pants, there's probably going to be a reason for it.

6. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Depends what you are dealing in some products could be in less demand than they once were, doesnt mean the whole economy is about to tank.

Maybe not double digit growth but this place is far away from any significant downturn.

7. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Or 2 minutes (relatively speaking...) from some other kind of unpleasant outcome.

Anybody in the dairy or truffle market care to comment?

8. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Shanghai is good and in fact booming. My friend just sold a pad there recently and made a 2x in 12 months. Problem is most people in Shanghai also don't really know what's happenning for a variety of reasons.

9. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

I would rather listen to Soros than what anyone in those five institutions think.

Kangabanga likes this.
  10. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Now they reckon $100:
    Investors Betting on Oil Prices to Hit $100 a Barrel

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Wrong, the Australian dollar did hit around 50 I think it 10 years ago. Its on the Australian Dollar thread, I cant be bothered locating the actual post, but you may want to?

12. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

It wasn't great in 2003, it was close to that. And x3 to the pound.

13. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[http://forexcrunch-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com]

During 2001 AUD/USD was below 50c (dot-com bubble crash) then 60c during GFC. Expectation of return to those levels in the next few years would not be unreasonable IMHO. As you can see the last 4 years trend is clearly down with the usual rebounds on the way down.

Things in Shanghai are like things on Wall street, the economy there is enjoying excess liquidity and credit, probably just like Perth vs Sydney.
    Death and Despair in China's Rustbelt
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-05-30/when-china-sneezes-those-closest-catch-the-worst-colds

If and when things start looking bad in Shanghai, you can be sure the **** has hit the fan everywhere else in China.

MTR likes this.
  14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

scary stuff really

15. skater

skater Well-Known Member

No, Shanghai is not the whole of China.....but I've just come back from China a couple of days ago. We were on a tour going through many cities, and the one thing that was very consistent was the amount of cranes everywhere, and the amount of 6 level unit blocks that were being demolished to replace them with something like 30 level units. It's insane! Even on our four day cruise, down the Yangtze, there were stacks of cranes, even in the 'small' cities.

Cactus likes this.
  16. barnes

barnes Well-Known Member

Did you visit ghost cities? They were also filled with cranes...

MTR likes this.
  17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Sounds like one of those Tripadeal type things, was it any good?

18. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

The ghost city thing is a bunch of sensationalised garbage. They will be filled very quickly. You are just too used to the inefficiency of Australia.

I'm back now and just had a stark reminder of how backward we are here. Flight had to land at the freight terminal because there was no room left at the international terminal, so had to walk onto the run way and get a bus...

Don't worry in 10 years we will have more capacity. She'll be right! How's about a big enough airport to begin with so it can be expanded or get ahead of the curve and build the f'n new thing!

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

you have not been to Perth lately, we have stone man mentality here.

wogitalia likes this.
  20. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Why goto china to visiy ghost cities when you can get a similar ghost city feel in brisbane, Perth, Adelaide etc
    :)) after all, the only worthwhile places to invest in Australia are sydney and Melbourne. Preferrably a house with lots if land and within the magical 10km radius to the cbd...i mean, god lives there right?

MTR, Skilled_Migrant and wogitalia like this.