australian property investor,worth to get?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by hishaken, 21st Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hishaken

hishaken New Member

Got recommendation about this Magz?
    Any opinion? Worth to spend money on?

Thanks

2. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

It's not going to change your life but it's worth a read and a good source of areas to do further research on. It could be tax deductible as well.

3. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

If you've completely run out of other stuff to read, it won't hurt.
    But I wouldn't put it at the top of the list if you haven't yet read and listened to plenty of other stuff first.

4. Daisycutter4

Daisycutter4 Well-Known Member

I'm the editor at the mag. If there is a story you'd like to see covered by a property journalist, I'm happy to see if it's something we can help with.

Agent30yrs., albanga, ellejay and 4 others like this.
  5. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

It's been mentioned before, but as a non-reader of the mag, don't know if it's been done.
    Anyway, follow up interviews, where are they now and whether they have made significant changes in goals and strategies.
    Starting with all the featured stories going back every year from 5 to 10 years ago.
    There would be some great lessons there.

albanga, Daisycutter4, Bran and 3 others like this.
  6. melbourne171

melbourne171 Well-Known Member

I 'd read it for 2 years. then, similar stories repeat. I get bored and quited it.
    Learned some from the mag. Good to look up the statistics but hate some stories far from the truth.

7. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

After 11 years or so I've finally let my subscription lapse. With all of the online stuff taking up my down time I really don't get time to read a full edition now. I do enjoy the read when I get to it tho.

Daisycutter4 likes this.
  8. Bryan Loughnan

Bryan Loughnan Well-Known Member

For the cost of less than 3 coffees a month, I certainly feel it is worth the money. As with anything though (just like this very forum), just be sure you understand the background of the authors/"experts" who are being quoted in specific stories and consider what their motivation maybe for making certain comments.

Cactus and bob shovel like this.
  9. New Town

New Town Well-Known Member

It has enough depth to make it credible and a useful read. Good for motivation, market info and light technical knowledge. Combine it with a basic valuation text book for some decent skills.

bob shovel and Daisycutter4 like this.
  10. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

I think it's a good educational and motivational tool for beginners (with other books). For everyone else it comes down to personal taste. I get 6 months of free subscription thanks to my mortgage broker. Must admit it's been good to have, being a property investing addict. Would I buy it regularly if I had to pay for it? No, because mrmoneymustache would say don't do it or your early retirement is cancelled and you have to go back to work to pay for all this coffee, deli sandwiches, magazines etc etc. ;)

bob shovel and Daisycutter4 like this.
  11. Daisycutter4

Hi Ace,
    Always good to hear from you. We've had a few "Where are they now" pieces – one recent one was an investor who had lost a lot of portfolio value on the back of a lousy mining town investment. She had some great advice around this.
    Have been trying to branch into some more academic features where possible too.

12. Daisycutter4

Absolutely Bryan. It can be a minefield.

Bryan Loughnan likes this.
  13. Daisycutter4

I'll have to get the price reduced then :)

ellejay likes this.
  14. Yson

Yson Well-Known Member

However I found that the mag only presents the success story n less on failure, may be ppl only tell when they made profits.

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Hi DC
    Was this Kate Maloney ?

16. +men

+men Well-Known Member

Any reason why the hard copy only subscription is no longer available?

17. DaveyB

DaveyB Well-Known Member

Yep, when guys like Morgan Crawford when investor of the year award / runner up whatever it was, that's when you stop reading this stuff. Baloney.

18. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

I think it's a good light read. I particularly enjoy it when on holidays and don't need to think too much.
    My main issue is ever single story I feel needs an asterisk next to it. So many of the important and technical details are left out. Many of these would usually result in the "profit" not being what it says it is.

I do understand the magazine is aimed at the more amateuer of property investors. That said though, a lot of them could do well with some truths about property investing. Not every single Reno "Turned in a $56,000 profit in 2 weeks". I swear half these valuations come from REA's whose value isn't worth the piece of paper it's written on.

19. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

It is an entertaining read that is directed at a broad audience.

Christmas is coming?

20. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

A lot of people are quick to pounce on the mags and pick their details to bits. But as everyone's situation is different there's no one right way to do things and it should be all read as a guide and examples are within +/-10%. don't put yourself into a straight jacket trying to justify the numbers and deals!

I have my subscription and read through occasionally. There's usually a story or two that I'll read. One monthill read the tax tip next month will be the reno and the following month i might go through the data.
    And you don't know what's in the next one but chances are there will be something of interest imo

Definitely plus it's good reading.
    If you have a problem you're likely to want to deal with it then put it behind you. You're not going to be calling the mags asking for a photo of you and your tenants at tribunal! ... Although that would be a bit funny! :D

Cactus and Daisycutter4 like this.