Australian Investors Association National Conference Gold Coast July 30- August 2

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Gockie, 13th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

One of the attendees at the Thornhill event in Brisbane mentioned this 4 day event (July 30 - August 2) and imo.... its a very affordable networking opportunity.

National Conference 2017 » Australian Investors Association

Suitable for anybody following this other asset classes subforum.

Hope to see you there....

2. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Just had a look at the program:
    http://www.investors.asn.au/assets/events/conference/Conf-Program-Schedule-2017.pdf

Some useful topics but looks more like an opportunity for product promoters rather than investors.

That said there is one thing that caught my eye:

wombat777 and Anne11 like this.
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

The very last presentation looks good "A Waste of Time" is its title!

Anne11 likes this.
  4. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

LOL:D. Very funny.

5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hi all.

Yes, I acknowledge, it has a lot of sponsors, hopefully it wont be like a walking advertisment though.
    But sponsorship is the way the event is made to be affordable though. Otherwise you'd be looking at a few k to attend, which doesn't work for many. And yes, there's a lot of topics I wouldn't have the slightest bit of interest in.

But that's ok. I think there will be quite a lot of good too, and just networking with other attendees would be beneficial. However, I hadn't been last year so I can't say what to expect for sure.

Anyway, it might be like the SQL Server Saturday event I went to in February (for the last 3 years)... its a virtually free event, sponsors pay for the costs. The sponsorship message was really non intrusive which is great, generally all you noticed was stands to promote their services.

However it is a chance to learn stuff, what's out there.

Player likes this.
  6. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Sorry @Gockie, don't take us too seriously. It's great that you're making others here aware of this conference. The AIA are a good investor organisation. This event provides AIA members with a great "tax deductible" break at the Gold Coast for having a good time, networking and if you learn something in the process that's a bonus. And as you say Sponsorship makes the event affordable.

I gave up attending courses / conferences a very long time ago because they tend to lead one astray.

For example you've just attended the Thornhill course on simple dividend investing and see it as a wonderful way to invest for income. Then when attending presentations at the AIA conference a presenter might have you convinced Hybrids and corporate bonds are just what you needed for income. Then Colin Nicholson will provide convincing reasons for why a Stop Loss should be used to protect capital. Then the talk on asset allocation might have you convinced Bonds, property, emerging markets and International diversification is the way to go. Then Paddley will finish off the conference stating that everything else you heard was a "waste of time" so subscribe to his newsletter and / or invest with him.

Next thing confusion sets in which combined with enthusiasm may result in chopping and changing strategy / investments.

Not suggesting one shouldn't continue to educate themselves but just sounding a warning based on what has happened to me in the past. Then again not everyone has my bad personality traits. So make what you will of my comments. Better still perhaps ignore them:confused:.

Last edited: 13th Apr, 2017
    orangestreet, Gockie, Terry_w and 2 others like this.
  7. turk

turk Well-Known Member

But is there not profit in confusion, the question is who will profit?:(

Nodrog likes this.