Aus social services have been unbelievable during this pandemic

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by jaybean, 24th Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

My partner is in childcare (casual worker) and I've just been observing how insanely good this has been.

During the thick of it, JobSeeker paid her an emergency salary, but you all know about this. What some of you don't know is how much red tape there wasn't. There was a short online form, no overbearing checks and balances...then she just started getting money within a short time frame. I think it was within days.

Now? She caught the virus last week, put in her form on Friday. She entered the wrong address. We got a phone call yesterday (SUNDAY) asking for clarification for a typo so they could process her form asap. The next day payment came through. WHAT? I rarely see service this good in the private sector, let alone government.

I managed to hold onto my job during the peak of the pandemic too due to JobKeeper subsidies.

Yeah negative nancies will find anything to whine about. They (without exaggeration) picture there is some utopian country that has nailed the COVID response perfectly and without flaw: look at Singapore they say! New Zealand! South Korea! LOL BS, a quick google and search around their forums and you'll find just as many pessimists and critics who whine and can't appreciate what they have. For example, I was surprised to learn there was an anti-vaxxer movement in Singapore, with it being such a homogenous, highly educated, and obedient (not saying this is positive necessarily) nation...then I realised: well, stupidity isn't exclusive to any one country. Has anyone had a poke around the far right community in NZ to see how happy they are? And I have a lot of Korean friends and they can't stop talking **** about how incompetent their govt is.

No one will nail this perfectly, god knows Morrison has ****ed up a lot. But that doesn't mean I'm not impressed and very happy with how things have gone.

(yes I get it all comes at a cost, the long term implications of all of this stimulus etc but that's a different topic for another day)

Last edited: 24th Jan, 2022
  2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Great to hear some things have actually worked.

One of the biggest complaints ironically at the moment is that now that (apparently) there isn't an emergency, and everything is "covid normal", all the financial support for individuals and businesses evaporate - even if your business can't operate because everyone is off sick.

The Y-man

3. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I mean the stimulus couldn't have gone on forever. This is what I mean about people not being able to appreciate what they have.

But anyway, of the stimulus and support that still exists, it's slick, efficient, and well managed.

The Y-man likes this.