NSW Auburn, Granville - Suitability for PPOR

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by D_One, 30th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

PPoR Auburn / Granville

1. Safe and Should consider

8 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Stay Away

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Look further out West

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. D_One

D_One Member

Interested in locals opinion of Auburn and Granville area for a PPoR.

Auburn, I have been told is gentrifying. My concerns are the level of crime in the area and general perception of the area. The same with Granville.

2. TFBoy

TFBoy Well-Known Member

Some parts south of railway in Auburn/Granville are actually not too bad.

Also Try Guildford as well, there are some nice quiet st west of railway.

3. Birdseed

Birdseed Well-Known Member

As someone who grew up very close by (think of the other suburb in this local area often in the news for the wrong reasons), I would recommend these suburbs if they are as far as your budget can stretch... You probably wouldn't find better in that price range with that proximity to the CBD (and Parramatta, which is a bonus).

Daytime is as safe as anywhere else, although night time is somewhat edgier. It would be more important if buying around here to strongly vet your neighbours (if possible) - they would probably most directly affect your happiness if you decide to move into a PPOR around here.

Have you looked at Greystanes? It is a suburb not far from the ones you mentioned, similar distance from parramatta, but a far better community vibe and more OO appeal. The only trade off/compromise is no train line

4. D_One

D_One Member

It is crazy that 900,000 will not get you much anywhere else close to train and CBD in Sydney. My wife's job is in the Parramatta area, mine in CBD. So easy access with less than 45 minutes train to the city is most ideal.

5. Birdseed

@D_One have you had a drive around these areas yet? If so, what were your impressions?

6. D_One

D_One Member

The last time I was around the area was probably a year ago, we didn't really get a good vibe. A workmate was telling me that lots of Chinese are buying into the area and the area is becoming more diversified. In 10 to 15 years, everyone would have forgotten about the history and the negative reputation of the area.

7. Birdseed

To be honest, Auburn has gone through a number of "transformations"- but traditionally it has always been a suburb known as a stepping off point for recent arrivals. Turks, Lebanese, some Vietnamese, and in more recent times Afghans/Sudanese. As each group has become more established in Australia (and more wealthy) they have vacated auburn for the next wave. In the current day, I can see how the Chinese may be attracted by the more recent high rise developments and busy rail station there.

Granville is a little more "suburban" - unit blocks in this suburb are smaller and older, and houses may be on slightly bigger blocks?

If I were you I would dedicate a day to driving around these areas. Start in Auburn and steadily head west through Granville, to Merrylands, then Merrylands West & finally Greystanes. I think you will find the "vibe" improves as you progress in that order - certainly if I were moving my family into the area, that is how I see it (you did mention "safe" in your poll question). And just reiterating my comment about neighbours - I really would scope out surrounding houses and streets before making an offer on a property in any of these suburbs.

8. D_One

D_One Member

Thanks for your helpful advice @Birdseed.

We are currently narrowing down areas we can afford without having to stretch the budget. Cut out some places based on people's feedback as we are not from the area, then do the typical drive around, walk around, have lunch and observe an area.

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Prolly doesn't tick all of your boxes but close enough to M2 bus interchange to city and Parramatta. Heaps of land and refurbished - don't know why so cheap (Ermington agent @Gockie).

Last edited: 30th Jul, 2016
  10. D_One

D_One Member

That is a good buy in my opinion. It went for $919,000. We thought Carlingford was outside of our budget, but a sale like that brings some hope.

11. Scott No Mates

I have seen several sales in the low-$1m range many on decent land sizes too.

Alternatively, parts of Ermington (handy to Victoria Rd/Silverwater Rd) or Telopea are in that price range too.

12. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

It has high voltage powerlines right through the backyard, so you can't do anything with the land. That would be why that sale price is reasonable. Not a good buy though.

13. Blue Cat

Blue Cat Member

The Carlingford property has been on the market for over 6 months, the agent listed for auction as a last ditch attempt for a sale. Besides the huge powerlines there are other issues with the house itself.. Immposible to find anything decent in Carlingford under $1.2m..

14. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I walked down the main street of Granville a few years back and couldn't believe all of the anti-Anglo advertising in the shop windows. Not sure if it is still the same. Definitely take a drive and walk around the areas. Take a look at South Wenty and Merrylands West. Lots of families looking in those areas now that cannot afford Greystanes.

15. Scott No Mates

A real deal killer.

16. Pixie

Pixie Active Member

Perhaps Winston hills...? Fairly close to Parramatta and have the m2 access and buses

17. Sea Eagles88

Sea Eagles88 Well-Known Member

I lived in Auburn for 10 years. I have an IP in Auburn, it has pretty decent yield. Price has moved in line along with broader Sydney. So from IP perspective I have no problem. It's centrally located in Sydney. Good amenities, lots of eateries. But for PPOR I would not live there, mainly safety issue, very crowded with people and cars (almost impossible to park near your own home), lack of manners and considerations by many of the residents. For PPOR I suggest rent there for 6 months and get a feel for it.

Pixie likes this.
  18. Masih

Masih Well-Known Member

@D_One my inlaws live in Granville and I travel to those areas frequently every week. If I personally had to choose between Granville and Auburn then I'd go for Granville. Crime wise probably not as safe as the east but at the same time overblown a bit. Youre closer to Parra and also Granville station has a better location. At night Auburn station looks a bit scary and has quite a few junkies hanging around.

19. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

driving there has been scary for me all the time. from auburn to bankstown you get special attention if you drive within the speed limits. their BMWs and WRXs are useless behind you