Attempting to find lender

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Burramys, 5th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

I'm attempting to refinance an IP mortgage. It's currently IO and just over 5%. LVR under 30%, probably closer to 25%. PPOR all mine. No debts, one credit card paid every month, low limit. Good record at Equifax.

There's a few challenges. All income is from investing and a pension from my super fund. The rent is about 1.8X my annual expenditure, excluding property costs. Dividends and the pension are each what I spend a year, so I save a year or more of spending each year, a very long-term savings pattern. Lenders want to discount all my income. One lender said that I would be unable to repay their mortgage even though it's a lower rate than I currently pay, will lend me 75% of what I am very comfortably managing now.

To make matters interesting, all the comparison websites I have seen make no provision for the ongoing rate. They cite the honeymoon rate, which goes up after a few months. One genius lender was advised that it was for an IP and sent me information about a PPOR mortgage. IP rates are 50-100 basis points higher. Another one had big initial costs, discharge costs not cited, with the comparison and headline rate the same. This may be in breach.

I can easily manage P&I for the IP, but cannot find a suitable lender for my situation. Any ideas?

2. Watson1

Watson1 Well-Known Member

Who is the existing lender and have you tried negotiating with your existing lender?

3. Burramys

Watson, oops, should have said. It's CUA and they will not budge.

4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Suggest using a broker that looks after that type of income stream.

We have many a client borrowing solely on investing incomes - thats not the issue

Its unclear as to why you are looking to refi = ie your needs ?

Your actual outgoings and rate moving forward arent good indicators of borrowing capacity

lender will deem living costs of min 1.5 to 2 k / mth and assess the loan at 7.25 PI, probably over 15 or 20 years max

ta
    rolf

5. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

A broker should be able to help you - as you’ve found, not all lenders are helpful in this space.

Have you applied with a few lenders already? It may be worth checking your credit file to be sure there’s not a handful of recent enquires that could make things more tricky again.

6. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

You need to use a broker who will know which lenders are ok with older borrowers and which lenders are happy to use pension and investment income. Many lenders want a reduced loan term for older borrowers and discount or won’t consider smsf income etc.

From what you have said there’s a couple of options that jump out at me, but it’s important to get specific advice from a broker.

7. Burramys

I've contacted a few brokers, and none seem very interested. I think it's due to by income sources. I cite the savings pattern, not relevant to them. Also, lender rely on esitimates. I can show actual exoenditure for everything, but they will not use these figures, which go back decades. For a few years I had $1-200,000 in an offset, getting bigger over time due to dividends.

Every enquiry is with advice not to contact Equifax. I have an Equifax report from a few months ago, all good. There was no Equifax score, but in late 2013 the Veda score was in the mid-900 area. I suspect that I am at about 1000 now.

A broker that would look at real figures and take my savings capacity into account would be nice, but I cannot find any.

8. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Contact one of the great brokers on here, if they can't help no one can

9. EricIP

EricIP Well-Known Member

I'm in a similar situation. most of income from IP - Commercial.
    The broker I've used told me the Liberty is the only lender providing loan based on a lease income. Their rate is a bit high. starting from 5.3% (IO for5 years).
    It'll be interesting to see if op can find any other lender with a better rate since I'll try to refinance after 3 years.

10. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

lol....I love it when I call up lenders to ask about a product or promotion and they literally have no idea of that, or much else.

Makes you wonder how they select staff and operate other parts of business at times.