ATO probing 30 years of real estate deals

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Propertunity, 22nd Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. datto

datto Well-Known Member

lol Tax raised and tax collected are not equal. Not by any stretch.

Money confiscated by Fed Police shouldn't really be counted either. So I can see why funding for the project has ceased.

This 30 year look back at CGT seems like they are "clutching at straws" because their thinking is full of holes. Anyway my opinion. I'll wait and see how succesful it is or how quickly it gets canned.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

AFP arrest tax fraudsters. ATO have no powers of arrest.

3. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Yes OK ATO don't arrest people

Just had a quick read about Wickenby ...... Cost to operate was nearly half billion $ over 7 years. They raised about 1 billion of which about a third of this is classified as a "compliance dividend" (taxpayers "touched" by Wickenby suddenly declare more income in subsequent tax return).

How much was actually collected or written off? Dunno. But it looks like the project was hardly breaking even. If you were running a business on those figures you'd shut down. Probably why no extra funding was given.

4. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just a matter of time,the equity markets have had a that in place for a long time from 1998,with a capital gains tax assets register,everytime i walk in the Accountants office all that data comes up in a mili second..
    TR 2002/10 - Income tax: capital gains tax: asset register (As at 19 June 2002)

quote..

33. Taxpayers opting to store information electronically face difficulties as digital technology evolves. In particular, taxpayers need to consider the implications of upgrading from an early version of digital software to a more recent version. If information cannot be transferred to the new system without corrupting the existing stored data, then the records must be retained in the existing certified electronic database or printed and retained in paper format. Taxpayers may also transfer an existing asset register kept in paper form to digital storage by scanning the documents into an electronic form. However, whatever system taxpayers choose must reflect integrity, accuracy and reliability in electronic record keeping.

5. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Last edited: 17th Mar, 2016
    Terry_w and JacM like this.
  6. Terry_w

Propertunity likes this.
  7. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

I'd wager they don't... the ATO is pretty useless at detecting/pursuing undeclared rental income (even from properties rented out through real estate agencies with rental bonds, utilities, etc. in tenants names and not the owners).

8. Terry_w

If someone made a complaint they may take more interest.

9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I had involvement a few years back with a proceeds of crime case and until the proceeds are income its not income. Unlike a taxpayer who has a constructive receipt a criminal can rely on a negative constructive and its not income until a conviction.

datto likes this.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.