ATO App

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Paul@PAS, 13th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The ATO app (Apple and Android app stores) has received some major enhancement since June and is worth reconsidering. While its not perfect it has some tools that may make it worth a fresh look

• Can now be linked to the MyGov Inbox so messages come straight through. Access to the inbox has been a major concern for a long time and this may assist on time receipt of real ATO communication eg notices and letters etc
    • Has a photo tool etc for deductions. Store as you go and this can be exported to the tax return (individuals). I gather its fairly basic. Not suitable for property matters.
    • Access to ATO online services eg account balances, lodge activity stmts, paymnets or setup a plan, update details etc
    • Calculators eg ABN lookup for business, check super contributions !! and more
    • Logbook......However I must warn it can result in just a diary record of trips taken so its not the best option as the full logbook requirements must be met. After 12 weeks you can find the logbook method fails because you didnt enter a odometer reading at some point or skipped a trip and the odometer has gaps.
    • Record keeping for occasional business income
    It has no real or effective tools for property investors.

The risks of your MyGov security being compromised if your phone is lost hasnt been checked. I suspect (but havent tested) that each time you login you will need the unique MyGov login which NOBODY remembers eg HJ34534.