At wits end - can't breathe in a room

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by VDK, 10th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. datto

datto Well-Known Member

To me, it sounds like they're sleeping in a Dutch Oven. Let me tell you they can be a relationship breaker.

Try scented candles and be careful not to set the blankets on fire.

spludgey, VB King and Kassy like this.
  2. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

I read it as stone walls going to the ground, as OP said above.

Also, how do you suppose a stone wall is supported by not going to ground?

I agree, mould needs treating to be rid of it. And crossflow needed to prevent further mould.

3. VDK

VDK Active Member

So I’ve spent yesterday looking for any signs of moisture/mould - found nothing that looks or smells like it. Was looking in the roof and under the house.

I did find some rat nests in the insulation in the roof - they have been there for a while. Lots of little urine stains on the insulation bats. Nothing coming all the way through the ceiling though.

They have also stripped foil off the ducted aircon piping (in parts) and used it to build the nests. Wonder if that makes some difference too.

The ceiling is horse hair plaster and so is the wall it seems. Part of it is glued directly onto the stone wall - has come off a little in places but seems pretty solid.

I am thinking of doing the following next:
    1. Cut a small hole in horsehair plaster wall to check if there is any mould/smell back there.
    2. Try sanding then paining the room with primer - maybe it is old smells stuck in the walls.
    3. Put some moisture absorber under the room - if it doesn’t collect much water, it should indicate there isn’t a moisture issue.

Any other ideas?

4. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Oh poor thing, this is intriguing.
    Do you have a photo of the room? Might be useful for readers to help .

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The breathing seems an allergy response to something within the room. So I would find out what the trigger is so that a better detection of the issue can be made. You dont need to smell it. Start with your doctor and seek referral ? But that will just tell you what the personal allergy triggers are ... So maybe.... trial and error diagnosis to exclude all environmental issues. eg Mattress, pillow, linen / laundry powder / liquid, shampoos and soaps, perfume. Carpets, mites. Consider relocation of bed to another room and test that.

Dust mite residue is a well known breathing trigger.

Last resort

upload_2019-9-16_11-24-18.jpeg

Dan Wood likes this.
  6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

OP says no prob in the lounge.

The Y-man

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I would be more systematic and exclude every environmental variable. Start with the room. Then whats in the room. Furnishings the lot. eg Is it something in the bed or on the bed in the room or the room ? Or the bed.

8. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Sanseveria (Snake Plant) is worth a try!

Attached Files:

wylie likes this.
  9. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

Gosh, this is my worst nightmare. Years ago we were renting an old house and I kept getting bronchitis. I couldn’t sleep for months on end, I was up all night coughing. I was lying in bed coughing on my 8th day off sick that year (and I’m not one to take sick leave willy nilly) and I noticed tiny black spots on the ceiling. Mould. Turns out I’m allergic. But we were only renting! Really hope you find the problem OP. Mould can be really tiny, doesn’t have to be black covered walls.

broc119, Dan Wood and Propin like this.
  10. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

Yep! Saw some on a rental I inspected, noped out of that place fast...

It wasn't much either, literally can look like small specks of dirt, and at that point you'd ask yourself, how does dirt get on the ceiling. o_O

Hetty likes this.
  11. VDK

VDK Active Member

So it’s been over a week, we’ve been sleeping in the living room (much better!) and I’ve tried the folllowing:

1. Double checked everything for signs on mould again (nothing).
    2. Washed the hardwood floor with water vinegar mix, in case there was some odour coming from the floor (previous tenants had dogs).
    3. Vacuum/cleaned extensively
    4. Had windows open in the room for days at a time to try to air the room.
    5. Checked the ceiling again and looked for any visible objects in the cavity wall (nothing).

The material cavity wall is made from appears to be horse hair plaster and I now believe it was part of original construction, due to the way it joins with ceiling/cornices. It is also the only wall like that in the house.

Yesterday I tried lying on the bed frame in the room for about 30 minutes - instant issues!

Dry/clogged nose, itchy eyes and a feeling of spot itchiness on the skin. Feeling of grit in the air and on skin (room was very clean). Got out of there feeling crap and irritated. Windows were open during this test.

So - maybe an allergy to horse hair plaster, or whatever else is in that one wall?

If so, what can be done about it apart from ripping it out and replacing with modern material?

PS: as an aside, when we first got the house I was ripping up old carpets throughout in my thongs and got really bad reaction with something. Feet went red and swollen, super itchy. Had to use steroid cream to help it go down. I wonder if it’s somehow related, as carpet was tucked under that wall, with bottom of it chipped off.

broc119 and Dan Wood like this.
  12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Dust allergy?