ASX Through The Floor

Discussion in 'Sharemarket News & Market Analysis' started by Coota9, 24th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Quick back of the envelope VAS (ASX300) now approx. 14.2x and 4.6% yield, grossed up 6.08% (75% franking).

Jack Chen, orangestreet and Toon like this.
  2. KDP

KDP Well-Known Member

I'm watching very closely with some powder ready to deploy.

3. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

Yes you are correct. Some of those drops were huge. We're getting there again I think. I think blood bath is subjective though. Check out where the European indexes have opened. Give it some more time and it will become a nice buying opportunity.

4. datto

datto Well-Known Member

We should see money go out of the stock market and into property, preferably Sydney property or more to the point Mt Druitt where's it's nice n cheap:)

5. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Same, I'm locked and loaded ready.

I was very tempted today, but my unscientific self thinks that when the doom and gloom is announced on TV tonight there will be more opportunities in the coming days/weeks! :cool:

pinkboy

orangestreet, Toon and The Falcon like this.
  6. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

hehe..
    hate to disappoint you datto, but the ex shares money that goes into property wont be in Druitt. Maybe Sydney, but will be very selective.

7. Justin_Z

Justin_Z Mortgage Broker Business Member

8. FireDragon

FireDragon Well-Known Member

It seems many people here are still buying. Does this mean it's not fearful enough according to Buffet? I may start buying when less people talk about buying shares.

9. cashnow

cashnow Active Member

S&P down another 7% so far.......ASX futures 200 points down so far. this is funny.

10. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

image.jpg
    Dow Jones took an early hammering which is now stabilising

11. 158

158 Well-Known Member

After seeing more red than atop a meat pie in international markets overnight....

....strap yourselves in kids.

ASX will blow through the 'theoretical' 5000pt barrier like a train through a house of cards!

pinkboy

12. The Falcon

AFI looks most overvalued at around +9.5% NTA at close if anyone intends on a quick sell/buy LIC to ETF today.

13. The Falcon

Ha. Indeed. 4850 today I think.

14. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

I have never been interested in shares before but after seeing this on the news it makes sense to buy when it's at its lowest as it can only go upwards from there. Where can I work out what shares would be a good investment.

bob shovel likes this.
  15. leon brown

leon brown Well-Known Member

looking to pick up
    bhp.wow.sek.anz,wes, and possibly a few oilers when POO stabilizers
    just to name a few , but at the moment there is lots of options to buy with a longer term look .
    very exciting

16. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

The trick is knowing where to enter (via your rules), and having a plan for when you're wrong (b/c you will be, frequently.)

You can buy the perfect share at the perfect time, but without a plan it's unlikely you'll see the fruit. And likewise, you can buy the worst share at the worst time, but with a plan you can limit your loss and make sure you have enough to play again.

Re the best investment, I like technical analysis - for me, when the share is coming off a low base and starts heading up with volume, it's a buy. If you're looking to buy on a dip, wait for some sign of strength first or you'll often find you could have bought better. And if you do buy on a dip, have a point where you admit you're wrong and cut your loss in the event it keeps sliding.

Brian84 likes this.
  17. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your insight. I think I might stick to property. Sounds alot more riskier investment than property investing. I know they say with risk comes reward but I don't want to jump in without learning more about it first.

Do these sort of market crashes happen often?

18. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

This probably doesn't count as a market crash just yet, but they do happen every so often.
    It's like anything - you need to know the risk, and mitigate it the best you can. Jumping in without any knowledge is fine if you play very small - it can be a good way to see how you react emotionally.

Brian84 likes this.
  19. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

News reports this am on the teev and just now on the ABC radio - we are in a crash, folks.

Or; a "significant correction" if you are a positive outlook type.

Whatever; it's time to go shopping....maybe not today specifically, but later this week might be fun. :cool:

20. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I'm a virgin when it comes to shares. Was thinking about drip feeding into some kind of ...sheesh, I can't even think of the name, but Vanguard is one that I've heard plenty about over the years. But also interested to learn a bit about other stuff.

Firstly, would a dip like this affect (are they unit trusts?) Vanguard, and secondly where would I learn some basics, but in easy speak because shares kind of scare me a bit.

Brian84 likes this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.