Assessing and removing wall in strata building

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by oneone, 28th Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. oneone

oneone Well-Known Member

I'm looking at the possibility of removing 2 walls (for open plan) in a strata apartment in sydney
    does anyone have a recommendations for structural engineer to assess and/or builder to do the work ?

and anyone have tips on how to approach the strata committee on this ? Before getting qoutes and drawing plans, I wanted to get a feel on how they are with renovation proposals and process. Should I speak to strata management first or is it getting in touch with the commitee members ? I don't currently live there.

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Strata usually have a template they like you to fill out about your renovation ( or something similar) which often mentions structural and non structural changes . I'd just let them know your planning to do a reno and ask what proposal forms (if any) they'd like you to fill out . I wouldn't make a big deal out of it .

For structural engineers I've used this company many times. Luke is exceptional and easy to work with.

About Alba and Associates

As always with consultants, dyor.

Last edited: 29th Jul, 2018
  3. oneone

oneone Well-Known Member

Thanks @Leo2413
    good starting point, thanks for rec

4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Np mate.

5. oneone

oneone Well-Known Member

So I've been asking around for qoutes
    inspection $550
    construction drawings/certification for drawings - $1,500
    certification (eg. non load bearing) $550
    all excluding GST. Does that sound standard ?
    thats like $2,860 minimum, before the actual job

6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Is that from ALBA?

I paid $300 for inspection and then $150 for the report.

7. oneone

oneone Well-Known Member

no that was from my PM's recc.
    Luke is on leave so probably come back to me next week

8. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

You'll need a major renovation by law. Some owners corporations have a generic one you can add to but more than likely not. Speak to your strata manager and ask them if they can share one with you for you to use. They will probably say no, then you need to source one from a lawyer, buy online or copy someone else's.

Next step is conceptual approval with the strata committee telling them what you want to do and that if broadly acceptable you will provide the by law to be voted on in a general meeting. You will need to probably pay a little for the general meeting unless the AGM is coming up.

That is the formal approach. Some stratas may be a little more relaxed.

9. oneone

oneone Well-Known Member

In the last AGM they adopted new major and minor work special by-laws. Is that what you mean or does major work need a by-law passed specifically for my renovations ?

I've reached out to Strata for the process, am waiting for their response at the moment. I also want to get a feel on what they think about having walls knocked down before spending money on it. I can see from pics of other apartments, that there has been one that had them removed, another punched a square hole through it - but not sure if that was done at a time when rules were more relaxed

10. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Not necessarily, internal walls are often non load bearing, will come down to engineers assessment/advice

11. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

You have a point if they are not on the strata plan although if you are taking out two walls entirely (which you may not), you'd almost certainly be changing the common property ceiling and walls.

12. oneone

oneone Well-Known Member

update from Strata manager - as the strata committee adopted the Minor and Major work special by laws in the last AGM, there is no longer a need to draft a special by law for renovations per unit/apartment. My strata committee also passed a by law to allow voting through email, so no need to wait for meetings (yay), though that may prove to be a problem if it makes it easier for ppl to vote against renovations…

2 structural engineers in mind

Eng 1 - Leo’s rec. gave quote for inspection $300 and similar rate for drawing plans and issuing certificate. But wanted me to do some pre work before inspection and see if there is a gap with the slab on top and it would damage the wall a bit – I would’ve thought that was part of the inspection ? Anyone know how much ‘damage’ this testing is going to be (don’t want to annoy tenants too much)?

Eng 2 – was someone who did a similar work for another unit in same block along same walls (but they only removed one of the wall and punched a square hole in the other). They seem pretty confident its non load bearing, says no need for drawings and reinspections. They’ll do structural certification for $850

Are all engineers so different ?

13. oneone

oneone Well-Known Member

I've got a structural engineer coming around next week to inspect the walls.
    They've asked that we "expose the head wall/cornice" for them. It is to see if there is a gap between wall and slab/floor above. Does anyone know what this would look like ? Apparently I need to get a tradie to come in and do this.
    Is it chip past the paint to expose the material below at the wall join ceiling ? how wide or big does this need to be ?

14. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

They are talking about taking off/out a small piece of cornice to see if the wall frame is "hard" up against the ceiling.
    They may want to see several sections.
    Could be anything from 3" wide to a meter.

Ladder, hammer and chisel will make the hole ;)
    You will likely need some drop sheets, vacuum, some replacement cornice, cornice cement, sponge and buckets to do a dodgy temp repair (to keep the tenant happyish).

oneone likes this.