Asbestos in 1960's house

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Jess Peletier, 17th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Hi all,

I'm about to start a reno and am going to chip off all the existing laundry floor tiles myself - or I was until I considered there might be asbestos under them. Is that likely?

Did they use asbestos under floors back in the day? The walls are double brick, and it's only a skirting of tiles there so I reckon that'll be fine but not sure about the floor.

Also, there are some old vinyl-looking floor tiles that may need pulling up - I think I read somewhere that this could also cause an asbestos issue - does anyone have any experience with this?

Thank you!

2. Raydar

Raydar Well-Known Member

Asbestos in vinyl is possible, as well as old carpet underlay. If youre looking to save money, you can collect a sample (safely) and send it off to get analysed. We paid $100 for text day testing last year on some old carpet underlay.

Last edited: 17th Aug, 2015
    S.T likes this.
  3. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Asbestos was fabulous stuff back in the 60s. It was used in hundreds of applications. If your laundry tiles are on a concrete slab, though, there shouldn't be any asbestos under them - no need for it.

Jess Peletier likes this.
  4. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

If in doubt, get it tested - worth the $100 for the peace of mind.

5. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

It would more than likely be. As said before, get in tested and work accordingly. Better to safe than sorry.

Raydar likes this.
  6. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

When I did my reno on a 1960s homeswest double brick duplex, I had to get some vinyl floor tiles checked - it was all-clear in the end - just some other type of weird fibreboard backing to them.

Still worth getting checked properly I think.

7. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

It's now so easy to get stuff checked, you might as well. Lots of people who have done renos over the years when asbestos wasn't in the news would have wished they were better informed or more circumspect. That realisation would come when they wake up in the middle of the night and everything is quiet and they can hear themselves breathe.

8. Jess Peletier

They're in really good nick so I'm thinking of seeing if we can go straight over the top, but if not I will get them checked for sure.
    Hoping this is the case for the vinyl too - would it be the vinyl itself, or what they've potentially been laid on that's the issue?

9. Chilliblue

It be the adhesive with the vinyl

10. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

When you get the tradies around to look at the job ask them, a local guy will often be familiar with the era and materials used. Don't add extra things to your list just yet

11. Chilliblue

How are you going with your planning Jess

12. Jess Peletier

Good thanks :) I'll be heading up to meet a heap of trades on Thursday, we'll see how we go from there. Had one painting quote come back but it was really high - close to $8k! I got the impression he wasn't keen right from the start though, he seemed exhausted at the thought :)

13. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

I've tiled over vinyl tiles before, make sure you get the right primer if you're going to do it so the tile adhesive sticks.

14. Chilliblue

Best of luck with it Jess and keep up updated.

15. Jess Peletier

Here's a few pics of the before -

Attached Files:

16. MrRB

MrRB Member

Asbestos...? Just hold your breathe real good!
    Or get it tested.

I've been using tradies for the first time instead of DIYing my bathroom. Couldn't get anyone in to strip it out, so I did that. Couldn't get a plumber for very long, so I dug his trenches, cut it holes, and did the wall chasing. Then I couldn't get a concreter so I did that. Then the fella to do the rendering was unavailable.
    Two and a half months without a bathroom and I might start tiling soon (he's been busy and I'm not in town much). But I really enjoy my camp shower in the backyard, it's like camping, but at home, and with a little risk of the neighbours peering over the fence at the wrong time.

Hope your renovation goes well Jess :)

17. rhinsor

rhinsor Well-Known Member

18. Jess Peletier

Asbestos in glue? Never heard of that before - too late, we pulled up the kitchen floor yesterday and cheered as the backing wasn't asbestos...probably just the glue! :eek: The parquetry floor also has very strong glue sticking it down.

Also pulled up the laundry tiles, no asbestos there either, unless they used it in the adhesive. Ah well - I'd better enjoy my life while I have it!

19. Jess Peletier

We had a heap of trades booked to quote yesterday - we got 1 sparky, 2 plumbers (who came at the same time and knew each other - awkward!) and that's it. Looks like we'll be doing most of it ourselves too.

20. Jess Peletier

@rhinsor If there is asbestos in glue, would it be visible in some way? Fibers or something? I'm thinking this glue is so darn gluey that the fibres wouldn't have a chance of becoming airborne - haha!