Artwork placement and ideas ?

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by tattoo, 1st Oct, 2023.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. tattoo

tattoo Well-Known Member

finished repainting, light neutral grey, now needs artwork and colour
    this is PPOR. Ideas on where best to place art work and how big ? Prefer a few large pieces, not aiming to fill all the walls. Looking for modern spacious feel. First photo is idea of layout, is open kitchen/lounge

2nd photo - above dining table, 3M wall - should I aim for 1 large one (square/landscape?) or 2 or 3 spaced out pieces ?

3rd photo - not sure what to do here, does it need something on one or both walls ? does space above tv look empty (part of it faces the walkway)

4th photo - plannig to hang up the round mirror to reflect light and open kitchen, other then that any thoughts

5th photo - bedroom, getting queen bed at some stage, how shoudl I arrange ? bed in middle and artwork above ? Or is it dangerous to hang above bed ? Should I keep the position as is, and hang something in the space on the left ?

artwork wise, planning a mix - some prints, photography art and painting
    any ideas or inspiration would be great
    main.jpg table wall.jpg tv wall.jpg mirror wall.jpg bedroom.jpg

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Honestly, nearly anything to break up the vast expanses of bland wall is an improvement. Otherwise for a PPOR it really is to taste as you the finer specifics I would have thought.

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I agree. It comes down to personal taste.

What do you like?

As far as size goes, I'd get some painter tape and mark up some sizes to get an idea of the size of artwork that works with your furniture, once your furniture goes in.

And then have some fun looking for art that grabs your eye. You don't have to do it all at once.

For our townhouses, being brand new, we paid half of the cost (couple of hundred total) for a professional picture hanger to hang the tenants' artwork. We know the hooks are correctly installed, and that also means a large artwork (especially over a bed) is not at risk of coming away from the wall.

4. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

Anything hanging over a bed is not to my liking. Apart from the fact that the hook may give way I believe that it breaches a feng shui rule. I've got about 100 pieces of art and collectables on my walls. I found that it was easier to plan where everything went by hanging one wall at a time. This allowed me to have the bottom of the frames lined up horizontally and for there to be uniform gaps between the frames. One wall has a row of four big pieces above a row of six smaller ones.

It's important to keep art out of the sun. Colours fade. My east curtains are closed in the morning and the west curtains are closed in the afternoon.

Plasterboard is fairly strong. Use a single nail for smaller pieces and 2-3 nails for bigger ones. In concrete or bricks I use 40 mm long expanding bolts or 6 mm diameter drive-in nylon fasteners with hooks on the end. A more flexible option is a picture rail, but this takes a bit more effort to install. I paint my rails before I put them up.

Sackie likes this.
  5. tattoo

tattoo Well-Known Member

these are solid concrete walls, so will think carefully of what and where before drilling holes. I'll have a look at picture rails but it'll need drilling into the walls too.
    Yes wont' do artwork above bed, maybe opposite it ?
    Will map it out and maybe consider getting a pro to install in a go

6. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

With concrete walls, consideration should be given to picture rails. My first PPOR had concrete walls, and I installed rails. I weighed the pictures to work out the probable maximum picture mass per linear metre, doubled that, and had anchors to suit. From memory there were 60 X 6 mm drive-in nylon anchors every 400 mm. It's mainly sheer stress. The anchor holes were deep enough so that the anchor heads could be covered and painted, invisible. As most painting was done before the rails went on the walls, painting was fairly easy.

South wall detail.png

7. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Artwork is a very personal choice, so take your time to find pieces you really love.

There is no rush, it isn’t “The Block”!

Burramys likes this.
  8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

? Wallpaper / Graphico
    ? Anything not beige. Paint is cheap for what it can achive. Consider a colour consultant from paint company ONSITE.
    Wall lighting / lamp. Its very dull.
    Lighting with a warm colour
    Art

All the above but not too much of any.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.