Article: Portfolio Optimisation (Equities, Bonds, Domestic & International)

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Anthony Brew, 16th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

2. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Interesting conclusions. One for @dunno but he’s still too busy sulking after being punished for being a naughty boy swearing in public:):

3. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

As an Aussie he doesn't mention which US Bond fund he's using in his findings?

4. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

5. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Nodrog likes this.
  6. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

He he, yep same for me @Redwing. I’m happy to stay local for the risk free allocation of our portfolio. If Australia’s credit rating turns to crap and bank deposits look risky then maybe I’ll consider international bonds. I continue to marvel at the ability of investors to complicate things.

Meantime I’m happy with Term deposits (Gov’t Guaranteed albeit not iron clad but god help us if not). In a low interest rate environment even 0.20% fee for the Vanguard Global Bond Fund is a decent chunk. Term deposits don’t incur any fee. I’m getting around 2.8% for our Term Deposits at present which are mostly in a low / no tax environment being the SMSF pension. Hence by staying short and minimising tax our risk free component has potential to maintain its value against inflation.

So for the year 2.8% for our term deposits vs -0.13% for Vanguard hedged Global Bond Fund:

2949F30C-663C-4459-873A-FE3A956B2ED4.jpeg

I’ll keep it local, fee free and simple thanks:).

Last edited: 16th Dec, 2018
    Danyool likes this.
  7. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

It sounds like you might be mixing up "10 Year Treasury Bonds" with meaning the last 10 years?
    Also if I recall correctly, he the bonds he was referring to was unhedged US bonds, of which I believe is not available on the ASX, only on other exchanges, but I was more interested on what possible reasons could it be that better risk adjusted return were found using US bonds and basically no Australian bonds over this very long period.

8. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Hedging Global Bonds is generally the rule of thumb. Plenty of reasons why available on the net. Search Vanguard white papers for a start.