Technology & Social Media ArgghhH!!! NBN Woes....

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Propagate, 30th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Trying to get NBN connected at a property we have just moved to, through iiNet as we're already with them at the old house.

So far they have failed to show up to 3 scheduled appointments.

I managed to speak to someone at NBN who told me I really shouldn't be speaking to them, but they'd look into it as I explained we'd kind of fallen into a black hole.

Turns out when our property was subdivided and the phone line went in 9 years ago it never got registered properly, so although we have a working phone line, the telco's database shows the address as a "Class 32 property, no lead-in line", so each time the NBN tech checks their job sheet for the appointment they don't bother coming and cancel as they think there's no lead in line and the install gets bounced back to iiNet.

I finally managed to get someone at iiNet to understand this and request a reclassification.

I've just had an e-mail this morning with the latest re-order and new NBN tech install date for, wait for it, between 2am and 6am on 21/01/19 (yes that's 9 days AGO).

The main problem is the NBN Co. number has no access to their techs scheduling, it has to go through the ISP and the ISP has no direct access to speak to NBN Co, it's all done through their "group chat".

So, this has been going on for 6 weeks now and I still can't get an actual NBN tech scheduled appointment, and if/when I do I've no way of knowing of they've reclassified the property properly or if we'll just get bounced again.

So frustrating.

2. RS Gumby

RS Gumby Well-Known Member

Go to the Ombudsman?

HUGH72, kierank and Propagate like this.
  3. Propagate

Never thought to do that, I'll give them a go if they miss the next appointment (assuming I can get a another appointment that's not already dated in the past).

4. Propagate

Got through to them again juts now, they've now confirmed that the house has a recognized lead in line and that's now on the NBN database, but because the next appointment was somehow scheduled for in the past it's mucked up NBNs appointment system, so they've had to cancel the order AGAIN and wait another 24-48 hours for a new order appointment to be generated. Far out.

Perthguy likes this.
  5. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

I've got my 7th tech visit this afternoon for NBN issues (plus no shows). I'm trying to get my hands on all the stuff they have supposedly done currently as I believe there is a certain level of fraud going on. ie I see the tech drive up comes in says hi, looks at his phone for test results and drives off, I then get asked if the "repairs" the tech did on site have fixed the problem.

Also had a tech say I need to rewire something in my house and then leave his details to do the work as a private job. Nothing in writing. I'm starting to keep records of everything I can, photos of the tests and results etc.

6. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

No show :confused::mad:

7. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Didn’t a recent Prime Minister tells us that we have become more agile?

Looks like we have a long way to go ...

8. Propagate

Swines!

I just got my rescheduled appointment. Wednesday 6th February, wait for it..... between 2am and 6am !

House and Hodor like this.
  9. RS Gumby

RS Gumby Well-Known Member

Are these appointments scheduled from India?

10. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Just wanted to ask how long before the cut-off period would one wait till you change over,iv''e waited till most of the start -problems are sorted..One week or allow one month ?.

Several people from India sometimes 4 times a day ring up saying they work for TLS ,and can sort everything out within 5 minutes after you give them your credit details and let them inside the p/c..

11. Propagate

Tech actually turned up yesterday then left unable to do anything for us. Long story, but the short version it we're screwed. NBN have royally stuffed up the fibre routing to our property to the point they are going to have to come back, bore a new line in and a new pit yet their system shows them they currently have everything correct. iiNet are useless, Telstra have been pretty good. No one can switch the ADSL into our name in the interim (even though we currently have a working land line), until NBN admit they can't actually give us NBN yet. NBN now have 20 business days to rectify or they will have to release the ADSL connection again so we can get onto that in the interim. The good news is at least we know the issue now, the bad news is there is no sign of when there'll be any possibly of ANY sort of internet to our house. The NBN gizmo in the pit that is assigned to us is over 300 meters away from the house (and has no conduit in place to the house anyway), their MAXIMUM allowance for the run from the pit to the house connection is about 130 meters. They did install a new pit and gadget up the battleaxe driveway next door, which is very close to our house but that's not even on their own schematics and they didn't cross-bore to connect our place or the neighbor to that new driveway pit. It appears as though they've tried to add the new pit and gadget in the middle of the 3 houses up the middle battleaxe drive but then only carried it on to the middles house and didn't branch across to the two side properties (one of which is mine). What a crock.

Tech was saying that, being rural acreage properties, the street should all have had fiber to the premise in the first place.

I felt sorry for the tech, sub contractor, they only get paid if they can actually make the connection. He's from out of the area, he said the reason we would have been having no shows is the local techs would know this road is badly configured so don't bother turning up as they know they couldn't do the job so wouldn't get paid, they skip it and move on to the next job on their list that they might get paid for. He didn't know the area so didn't know he was walking in to a no win situation.

Poor guy, we were his third and last job for the day, his first two were also no good. He left home at 6am for a days work, he left our place at 3:30 in the afternoon to head back home (Out of the area, probably 1.5 hours drive home from ours), and he didn't get a cent for the whole day as he couldn't make any of the NBN connections due to issues with the NBN's fiber install from the outset at each property.

significance likes this.
  12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

No easement? Think of the damage to your property values if they had whacked a conduit across it. No one in their right minds would by a property which had an undocumented easement let alone a documented one. :rolleyes:

The joys of pyramid sub-contracting. Head-contractor gets paid based on meeting their KPIs, the 27 subbies who attend the site miss out as the 28th one "completed" the job.

Last edited: 7th Feb, 2019
    significance, Stoffo and Propagate like this.
  13. Propagate

I've just ordered a Sprintel wireless modem and month by month plan. $180 for the modem, $40 per month for 250gb. Hopefully coverage is good enough to get us by for now. If 5G is coming anytime soon and the woreless Sprintel is adequate in the interim I'll be tempted to tell NBN to stick it and wait for decent 5G home wireless.

Stoffo likes this.
  14. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

NBN was at my place for almost 3 hours fixing the problem. Instead of intermittent internet I now have nothing and NBN can't work out the problem which has been confirmed at their end.

15. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Hodor - you've got NBN (no bl**dy network)?

wylie likes this.
  16. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

For the houses we've just renovated, the phone companies tell the new tenants there is a phone line already there. I tell them to please tell the phone companies there most definitely isn't a phone line. It was physically removed when the house was raised. There is a conduit ready for them to hook up again.

Ultimately, we've suggested tenants use the cable that is still sitting there until they have to go to NBN and then deal with it. It is just kicking the can down the road, but nobody is listening.

17. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

You will find that the Telecommunications Ombudsman's Office is inundated with complaints regarding the roll out and subsequent issues related to NBN.
    Get in the queue.......

18. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Right so ya got no internet. To post here are you using your workplace to do so? If that is the case, get off it and back to work slacker. :p:)

NBN is something I'll have to deal with at some stage. Not looking forward to it.

19. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Hopefully:
    1. you are not being charged by IINET for the time service has been out
    2. can you claim back costs of Sprintel from IINET?

The Y-man

20. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Most of my interneting is on the mobile phone these days, which partially explains my lack of grammaring.

Anyway, who works on a Thursday?

SatayKing likes this.