Are we heading towards a recession

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 6th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Sorry I did mean half glass empty on Aussie property. Clearly you have done well for yourself which clearly shows the cup ain’t always empty.

MTR likes this.
  2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

We haven't mentioned Martin North for a while so I just spent an hour on his website. They seem to think that we are in for one doozy recession any moment. I wont link anything - it's too depressing.

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Depends what you read I guess....
    Apparently Nathan Birch is saying buy now as we are ready for boom time with IR cuts and APRA easing????

SOULFLY3 likes this.
  4. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

In the US?

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes

6. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

This is the thoughts of 20 economists from 20 different Australian Universities/Institutes. The range of their forecasts is amazing.

I have never seen Steve Keen so positive. NOT.

Just goes to show that one should take too much notice of anyone as no-one knows.

https://propertyupdate.com.au/buckle-up-2019-20-survey-finds-the-economy-weak-and-heading-down-and-thats-ahead-of-surprises-2/?utm_source=Michael%27s+Daily+Commentary&utm_campaign=66d1394f53-MY_DAILY_EMAIL&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8ac08e5c4d-66d1394f53-558248653

7. berten

berten Well-Known Member

Lol. Steve reckons probability of 95%. I hope he takes medication for blood pressure cause he seems chronically stressed.

Danny370z, HUGH72, Empire and 2 others like this.
  8. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Especially when two of his peers stated 5% and the average of 29% :D.

9. kingstreet75

kingstreet75 Well-Known Member

If we were in a recession, would anyone be willing to admit it, or trust the data that said we were in it?

10. DAZ79

DAZ79 Well-Known Member

The only recession metric worth worrying about is the unemployment rate.

If the unemployment rate spiked we would all know about it and there would be no denying the recession causing it.

Toon, HUGH72, Empire and 3 others like this.
  11. lmac

lmac Active Member

Is that so? Funny how it all works when one metric supports a pet theory and another doesn't.

I'm no economist but to me the assertion that real net disposable income per capita is a better measure of living standards than GDP per capita is a matter of convenience rather than fact.
    Even if you didn't know how the calculation was derived, the biggest tell is politicians point to RNDI when the economy is going backwards in real terms (GDP per capita) to maintain the appearance of keeping the economy growing. It has "real" in the name, see? That's the number you really need to look at ;)

I don't fully agree with Steve Keen's levels of certainty either. While his reasoning is generally sound you wouldn't want him playing drums for your band with that timing of his. The man and the models are brilliant, IMO, but you simply can't account for the ridgeless undulations of Scott Morrison's brain, iron ore spot price booms or any myriad factors that play out in the real world and tangibly influence the shape and direction of the economy, not to mention the timing of those movements.

marty998 and MTR like this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Youi would physically see this IMO

For example, I believe Perth is in a recession.

Here some signs...….Shops closing down, empty commercial spaces scattered around CBD, commercial property not renting due to oversupply. Free rent offered for first three months in many industrial precincts. Property market in freefall, oversupply or just no growth for last decade.

Does this sound like it could be a recession???

kingstreet75 likes this.
  14. Miss Monopoly

Miss Monopoly Well-Known Member

I believe Perth/Wa is in recession, the data will show that in the coming months I'm guessing.

From what I have seen it has been a slow decline for the previous few years in building and retail but it seems like there has been a sharp decline in employment and spending since April this year.

Lots of businesses downsizing if they are able to, lots of businesses closing down - many in major shopping centres. Once upon a time you couldn't get a shop in a major shopping centre, it was like winning the lotto. Now they just close them up and board up the space as they have no one that wants to take it on.

And the biggest sign - everyday people talking about how bad things are, looking for work, watching what they spend, having hours cut, losing their jobs because the work has dried up

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes agree
    I read ready Mandurah houses prices have falling 30% thats massive. Lots of pain in this market

16. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

As I've been saying,
    China past two months reading of manufacturing PMI been in contraction(since the 25% tariffs started may). Pretty sure it will filter downunder next few months as long as trade war goes on. So GDP growth second quarter ending june should be slightly negative for us. Should that happen, it be start of technical recession. But might not be that bad of a recession as iron ore prices are slated to remain high in the coming year. Not sure why WA economy is still struggling, perhaps all the profits have been redirected back to Sydney.

It's gonna be all eyes on what Trump and Xi end up doing. China's got it's hands full with the unrest in HK and some human rights issues within the Xinjiang region..

Last edited: 22nd Jul, 2019
    kingstreet75, albanga and LibGS like this.
  17. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Despite this confident prediction of being in a recession in June, you actually need two consecutive quarters of negative economic growth to be in a recession. March quarter was lower but still positive growth.

Danny370z likes this.
  18. Mr Burns

Mr Burns Well-Known Member

That guy and his mate Adam are annoying. They are obviously making money from youtube hits and are trying to be as dramatic and negative as possible. Although I do like Edwin's videos on the apartment build issues. He was picking these defects up way before Opal and Mascot towers.

19. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Our Rockingham dealer is closing the on Sunday 16 years in the industry.
    So yes times are tough.

20. kingstreet75

kingstreet75 Well-Known Member

The Xinjiang stuff and HK stuff is reported a lot in our media. Very few people care about that in China. Not reported, and not a lot of sympathy on those fronts from average Chinese from what I can tell or hear. But trouble is brewing economically. One of the big telltale signs that China is going to really slow is caterpillar sales. Even when property is still going up, heavy digging machine is on the dive.
    [​IMG]

sqe and Kangabanga like this.