Are most people losing money on Airbnb?

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by Alex123711, 14th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

So Airbnb used to be good for low cost accommodation.

But now people in this thread are saying that returns are down. And it's expensive.

That doesn't add up.

Perhaps Airbnb has brought down the cost of the hotels?

2. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Everyone is quite busy undercutting each other.
    Especially in the big cities with large quantities of apartments.

3. jodes

jodes Well-Known Member

I was going to make the same point. If we have a couple of spare nights, we might put the price down to maybe $120 just to fill that space but generally we charge $180 and in school holidays/ weekends go up much higher.

The vast majority of our bookings (for our 2 bedroom apartment) are families who appreciate having bedrooms and a kitchen, somewhere to sit. Me personally, if I am staying somewhere for more than a couple of nights, i'd much rather having a kitchen and separate bedroom so I can have somewhere to sit rather than just sitting on my bed each night.

In Melbourne, generally long term rental returns are garbage- so even if you only break even with airbnb, you are still up on the loss you'd generally make.

We have worked really hard on our airbnb, and have been selected to be on Airbnb Select- i'd say we have at least 85% occupancy and are definitely making a profit. It isn't for everyone though - it's not a passive investment and guests are definitely getting more fussy, it's absolutely worth it when every few days you get an email from airbnb saying "we just paid you X hundreds of dollars".

gman65 likes this.
  4. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

I like having to do very little work and seeing money hit my bank account without getting any emails.

I also enjoy the security/knowledge that I have someone in my property for the next 12 months (just renewed lease) so I can plan how to spend my $xx,000 - these are the emails I like to receive.

Beano, SeafordSunshine and Zoolander like this.
  5. virhlpool

virhlpool Well-Known Member

I see. I feel it's hard to implement and keep a check for the authorities though. Even though AirBnB is totally illegal in a strict country like Singapore, there are still many people openly listing their places on AirBnB.

6. Alex123711

Alex123711 Well-Known Member

Not sure where you got those stats but they are way off:

In the 5 years up to 2016/17, there were an average of 747,035 international visitors to Cairns. Average length stay for international visitors was 6.5 days, lower than the average for Queensland.

https://economy.id.com.au/cairns/tourism-visitors-nights

https://economy.id.com.au/cairns/tourism-visitor-summary

7. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

You would also have to look at vacancy rates .In areas with high levels of occupancy especially during peak season there no need to discount ,as you are just undercutting youself.
    Obviuosly in areas or times with low vacancy rates it can work the other way.

8. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Yes, my bad sorry. In my haste I failed to see visitor nights and only saw visitors.

This was the page I went off:

https://economy.id.com.au/cairns/tourism-visitor-summary?WebID=10

Feels like there's 9 million people visiting sometimes :D

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.