Are 1 bed Units in Demand for rent ?

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Sigemup, 12th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Sigemup

Sigemup Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

Would there be any demand for rent of 1 bed units or is it better to get 2 bed units ?

Thank you

2. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

You expand your tenant base by buying a 2 bedder - IMHO would not buy the 1 bedder...

Sigemup likes this.
  3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

In my experience, the rare one bedders in our district ask such high rents that the tenants just go the extra $20-$30 a week for a 2 bed. (North Lakes)

Sigemup likes this.
  4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It depends on your budget.
    There are plenty of people who only need 1 bedders but chose to live in a 2 bedder and use one bedroom as a study etc.
    It all depends on budget, the number of 1 or 2 bedders in the suburb and building complex.

5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

There is usually always some demand for most types of dwellings out there.

i prefer to look at strength of demand.

So when it comes to 1 vs 2 bed units: what is generally more wanted in the area? is the price gap difference significant or small? Will buyers/renters make use of that second bedroom therefore increasing rentability and saleability? Can the second room be used to add value,?

Generally I would always pick a 2 bedder over a one bedder unless it's in a very specific area with clear and strong advantages of only getting the 1 bedder over 2.

Sigemup likes this.
  6. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

In a tight market one bedders can hold their own , but if the market gets oversupplied and you suddenly find yourself competing with two bedroom apartments for tenants you might struggle .
    Even as a youngster, when I was renting, I always had a two bedroom apartment.
    Great for when family or friends come to visit , especially if they live a fair distance away, or just use it as a storage room.
    Trying to sell can sometimes be a nightmare , banks can be quite restrictive, especially for owner occupiers, and generally they dont want one bedroom apartments.So you are limited to selling to investors. Strata fees can really hurt.

Sigemup likes this.
  7. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Never had my one beddas empty. Rent return is a little less than two beddas though. No probs selling them either but I did sell in the boom. Might be different now.

Sigemup likes this.