Approximate costs to demolish an home with asbestos in Brisbane

Discussion in 'Development' started by Foxdan, 25th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Foxdan

Foxdan Well-Known Member

Yes, i know that costs will vary, but does anyone have experience on the approximate costs to demolish a 3bdr home with known asbestos walls. Just wanted a ballpark idea of whether the job would be 20K, 100K or 250K?

2. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

I was quoted $20k but that was a property constructed completely of asbestos - not fibro. My building inspector said it was a class1 hazardous substance and he had never seen anything like it before. It involved a full tent over the building and a slow removal involving a sprinkler system.( I bought elsewhere. )

A friend recently demolished a fibro house for $5k.

Foxdan likes this.
  3. Foxdan

Foxdan Well-Known Member

Thanks @Heinz57 - that actually sounds pretty reasonably way to get a block of land in a place for building on. Did that include all removal and dumping fees?

4. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

The $20k for the unit block? I ran a mile. There were gaping, flaking holes in the asbestos walls you could put a fist through. One tenant had been there 15 years. I was too scared of a lawsuit.

Yes the $5k was all in, but again if they cut corners....

5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

It will largely depend on whether the asbestos is stuck to any other material in the walls, as it goes by weight. If its stuck to other heavy material and cant be separated then it will cost a lot more. 20-30k.

larrylarry, albanga and Foxdan like this.
  6. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

I did a demo job on a asbestos filled granny flat and outhouse and that portion of the demo was around 3k, obviously smaller than a house but maybe times it by 3.

Not trying to be rude but the blokes doing it definitely were some special units.

larrylarry likes this.