Approaching Public Trustee NSW about a sale

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Novice000, 1st Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Novice000

Novice000 Member

Hi everyone.
    This maybe a silly post and the answer maybe an immediate No you can't but here I go.
    I have been looking at a property in Sydney.
    However mid way through the sales campaign the listing got pulled because the vendor passed away and I was told by the agent that it is now with the NSW public trustee.
    I don't know what's the story whether the late vendor passed away with no next of kin/decendents/will or he/she had the public trustee as a trustee/executor of the will in place already in the event they pass away.
    We really like the property. And waiting for the public trustee to do their thing and relist the property could be another 2 years.

Is it possible to contact them out of the blue and I don't know ask if we can make an offer/negotiate? Or just ask when they can relist so we can be the first ones to get in?

Thanks in advance.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

yes possible, but unlikely they will want to negotiate (or talk to you).

Propertunity, Rich2011 and TMNT like this.
  3. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

The Public Trustee moves as 'slow as a slug on salt'. They take their time to represent their client & his/her estate. You need to mover on and buy & reno a few properties and then come back and buy this one if you still want to.

[​IMG]

4. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Firstly, the Public Trustee wont discuss the matter with you as you are not an interested party.
    You dont know if Probate has been granted and if there are any beneficiaries, if not, the house will be auctioned, and as the previous poster stated the Public Trustee will (at a snails pace) make all arrangements. You chances of dealing direct the Trustee are nil as they are required to act within the law.

Last edited: 2nd Apr, 2019