Technology & Social Media Apple’s iPhone Warning Comes Years Too Late

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by GentleChief, 6th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. GentleChief

GentleChief Well-Known Member

– Shira Ovide

The optimistic narrative about Apple Inc.’s iPhone business is falling apart in front of our eyes.

The company on Wednesday stunningly slashed its own revenue forecast for its first fiscal quarter that ended in December. Apple led by blaming a slowing economy in China and the trade skirmish with the U.S. for worse-than-expected consumer transactions in the region that includes China, Taiwan and Hong Kong. Apple said its first quarter revenue is now expected to fall about 5 percent from a year earlier. China may be the new “weather” — a go-to excuse for companies whose sales aren’t up to snuff.

But that wasn’t all. In an extraordinary letter to Apple investors, CEO Tim Cook also told stockholders what he should have been saying for years: The company’s iPhone business has shifted into a lower gear because of changes in the smartphone market and consumer behavior.

This should have been absolutely predictable to anyone who was able to peer outside of Apple’s bubble. Executives have failed in their duty to warn investors ahead of time about all this, and reality is finally and all at once catching up to Apple.

Click here to read the whole thing.

unnamed.jpg

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

As phones are getting more expensive, there are fewer new must have features. So people are hanging onto phones longer.

3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

[​IMG]
    Still have an old model like this one in the shed..

4. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Probably worth more than an iPhoneX

willair likes this.
  5. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

they've got a pretty entrenched customer base and consequently developer base, doubt they're going anywhere soon (just look at the revenue from the app store...they made $322 million in revenue on New years day...one day) - I personally use mid/entry level androids (Motorola G5 plus currently) but will likely switch to an iphone due software upgrade/support being better ... might consider android one or nexus if the device is priced reasonably.

6. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Is that phone from WW2?
    "We're under attack! Japs 12 o'clock high! Heck, no signal, I'll just climb that coconut tree"

orangestreet and bmc like this.
  7. willair

They were in the first to come out back then..I think they were over $1200.00 and changed the way businesses were run..Plus just had a look in the shed ,a rat has chewed the cord and side face so it might not be worth anything..

datto likes this.
  8. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I think they had a 007 number when they came out. With an an analogue signal a scanner could eaves drop.

willair likes this.
  9. willair

If Steve Jobs was still living would it be any different,he would have known that as people start to unlink from various platforms what would work next..
    upload_2019-1-6_11-11-16.jpeg

[​IMG]

Last edited: 6th Jan, 2019
    gman65 likes this.
  10. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Make iPhones about 50% cheaper and sales will fly again.

wylie likes this.
  11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I will say my current Samsung phone (A8) was bought mid last year online for under $500 and I think it’s a really good phone. And you are right, I wouldn’t pay $1000+ for a new iPhone. I also think each new phone coming out now doesn’t have any “must have” new features so even a 3 year old second hand phone is good enough for many. People don’t need to upgrade every 2 years.

12. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I can see what the problem with Apple is. It's copping bad karma.

Apple bought out one of its founding partners for 1K and then gave him 1.5K on condition he never sue the company for more money. That ex partner now lives in a trailer park.

Iphones are so expensive and they have contributed to accidents.

To turn things around Apple needs to buy that ex partner a house plus give him a decent pension. Also they need to dramatically reduce the price of its products. Furthermore, they need to significantly contribute to a program where they educate users of the dangers of using their devices.

Perhaps even a reward system where if a motor vehicle driver has gone 2 years without incurring an infringement for using a mobile phone whilst driving, then they will receive a refurbished iphone.

Angel likes this.
  13. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Are you sure it was a rat I thought the phone operated with a hamster inside (as batteries had not been invented) . :)

14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

It is all mobile phones, not just iPhones. In 2018 I reckon it would be easy to disable any mobile phone that isn't handsfree in any vehicle. It just costs money.

Our vehicle will not allow anyone (even a passenger) to input details into the navigation system if the vehicle is moving. Making a system that makes phones inoperable whilst the vehicle is in motion should be a doddle for someone to invent.

And, of course, mobile phones are just one of the problems that causes accidents due to "inattention". Changing stations on the radio, adjusting seats, mirrors etc take your attention from the road as easily as taking a call.

datto, kierank and Gockie like this.
  15. Big Lez

Big Lez Well-Known Member

I think the problem with iPhones, I think they aren’t as advanced (compared to the competition) as what they were several years ago. These days, you can pick up a smartphone from one of apples competitors for half the price with all the exact same functions and performance.

I bought myself an iPhone X for $1800, to be honest, I will probably never buy another iPhone unless they can sell there phones for <$900.

GentleChief, TMNT and datto like this.
  16. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

Probably has a 1 headphone jack more than the iPhone X

17. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

Ha, my old boss got one of those when they hit our shores. pretty sure it was a Motorola. red-led screen, he had a car kit fitted in his VL commodore.
    he thought he was as flash as a rat with a gold tooth.

willair likes this.
  18. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I was at harvey norman looking at tablets from samsung and apple and wondered,
    A tablet seems to have the same spec and larger screen, yet $500 vs $2k

Have we become conditioned to pay more for phones,
    Or does the calls/sms capabaility justify the price difference

19. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

$500 for an iPad is the baseline iPad mini, about 8 inches. About $200 extra will get you one with a sim card capacity. More money gets a larger screen, more memory etc.

20. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

iPhone XS costs some $1600.. you could buy a laptop which would be much better in terms of performance..However building something that compact with similarish performance is not so easy.

Still, most people don't have any need for such performance in a phone, and all the other features haven't really changed much for a few years.

Apple was relying a lot on China for future growth, but it seems the average Chinese is more than happy with their local o brands and they have been growing strongly.

Was one of the first to buy the the original iPad.. now rocking a $200 tablet and still fine for what I use it for. Amplify that across millions of customers and you can see why Apple has a tough market.